Telstra unlimited mobile data – well not really
The $69 per month Telstra unlimited mobile data plan – Endless Data BYO plan – is technically unlimited data. The caveat is a severe 1.5Mb/s speed cap if you exceed 40GB.
The plan also comes with unlimited talk, text and MMS to standard Australian numbers. Extras available to Telstra mobile customers including unlimited Wi-Fi data at more than one million Telstra Air hotspots (at capped speeds) and access to every live AFL, NRL and netball game this season.
Vicki Brady, Group Executive of Telstra Consumer & Small Business, said following years of network innovation to deliver Australia’s best mobile network, Telstra was now introducing its first unlimited mobile plan.
“We know how important it is to our customers that they can access the fastest speeds available to them on our network. That’s why our unlimited plan comes with 40GB of data to enjoy at uncapped speeds, unlimited sports action, and then data capped at 1.5Mbps to get customers through the month if they need it,”
“We have invested billions in our network, pioneered world-leading 4G speeds and pushed our 4G coverage out to more than 99% of the population. We are now introducing the unlimited plan Australians tell us they want while maintaining the superior network experience they expect.”
Telstra also updated some of its other plans – adding value.
- 24 months free Foxtel Now on select post-paid plans
- Generous data inclusions across its post-paid plans. The majority of these plans are getting 30% more data with data allowances up to 170GB a month.
- SIM only MX plan now offering 15GB for $49 a month
- Double data on every recharge of $40 or more for all Telstra Pre-Paid Extra customers. Added to the customer’s data bank (if it does not exceed the 50GB databank limit).
New customers on 24 month contracts receive a complimentary Foxtel Now subscription.
- $99 a month or above Go Mobile Plus (Min cost $2,376)
- Go Mobile Swap (lease – min cost $2,376 if the phone is in good working order)
GadgetGuy’s take – Telstra unlimited mobile data – well not really
GadgetGuy’s sage advice is don’t be fooled by the marketing hype. There is no such thing as an all-you-can-eat mobile data plan. Think of this as a 40GB, 12-month plan with a data trickle to do email if you exceed it.
The Foxtel and sports additions for heavy users is a nice bonus if you use these services.