Ideal for: Old-school audiophiles, valve-fans, iPhone owners
More info: www.fat-man.co.uk
Fatman’s valve amps captured our attention late in 2007 when the company’s first range of products appeared. The unusual thing about Fatman? That each amp came with an optional iPod dock.
The Red-i takes the concept of the valve-powered iPod dock a step further by including a set of matched speakers (the custom red diaphragms give the unit its name). The amp itself is still serious, as it uses high quality banana plug cables to pipe its 25 watts of hi-fi power to each channel.
Three valves provide that warm and detailed sound you crave, though the output stage is integrated. The unit is also GSM shielded, which means when you plug in your iPhone you’ll still be able to take calls without any interference or feedback through the speakers.
And as a conversation piece on the mantle, the Red-i – like all of Fatman’s products – really has no equal.
- Power output: 25Wx2
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20KHz (±1.5Db)
- Harmonic distortion: ≤0.5%
- Signal-To-Noise Ratio: ≥86Db
- Input impedance: 100K Ohms
- Output impedance: 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms
- Valve type: 2x6N1(ECC85) 1x6E2(EM87)
- Power supply: AC100~120V/50~60Hz, AC220~240V/50~60Hz
- Dimensions: Amp: 450 x 220 x 210 mm (W x H x D), Speaker: 330 x 315 x 210 mm (Wx H x D)
- Weight: Amp: 5.8 kg, Speaker: 6.8 kg