Apple has added the iPad Air and Mini to round out the iPad Pro and iPad range.
The iPad Air and Mini gain Apple’s A12 Bionic chip with neural engine (the iPad has an A10), Apple 1st-gen pencil support and have 10.5-inch and 7.9-inch Retina displays.
They are not replacements for the 12.9 or 11-inch iPad Pro which has a more powerful A12X Bionic chip, higher Liquid Retina screen, 2nd-gen Apple Pencil support and the all-important USB-C port.
Apple iPad Air vs iPad Mini
|Item||iPad Air||iPad Mini|
|Screen||10.5”, 2224 x 1668, 264ppi, 500 nits, DCI-P3||7.9”, 2048 x 1536, 326ppi, 500 nits, DCI-P3|
|Processor||A12 Bionic and M12 co-processor||same|
|Storage||RAM not specified. Choice of 64/256GB||same|
|Rear Camera||8MP, f/2.4, HDR, Auto-focus, [email protected] video, EIS||same|
|Front camera||7MP, f/2.2, HDR, fixed focus, [email protected], Retina screen illumination||same|
|Speakers||Stereo with Facetime audio/video||same|
|Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi AC and BT 5.0||same|
|4G LTE option||
Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25,
26, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66, 71
eSim and Nano-SIM
Touch ID (fingerprint)
Gyro, Accelerometer, Barometer, Light
Supports Apple Pay
|Battery||30.2 Wh up top 10 hours. Lightning connector||19.1 Wh – 10 hours use Wi-Fi, Lightning connector|
|Size/Weight||250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1mm x 456/464g||203.2 x 134.8 x 6.1mm x 300.5/308.2g|
|Colours||Silver, Space Grey, Gold||same|
|Option||Gen 1 Pencil only $145 Smart Keyboard $235 Air Smart cover $79/99||Same No keyboard Mini Smart cover $65|
64GB Wi-Fi $779|
4G add $200
256GB add $220 AppleCare additional
64GB Wi-Fi $599|
4G add $200
256GB add $220
Apple also offers a trade-in program – see here.
Apple updates iWork for iOS and macOS: Pages, Numbers and Keynote.
- Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages can type vertically in text boxes, shapes, and in the body of Pages documents.
- Draw a path with your finger or Apple Pencil to animate an object across a slide in Keynote (iOS only).
- Use Keynote’s animation engine to add action builds to objects including rotate, move, scale, and change opacity (iOS only)
- Create and share an animated GIF by exporting one or more slides in keynote (both)
- You can now edit grouped objects while collaborating. Maximum file size 2GB (both)
- Save custom shapes, templates, and themes on iOS and sync across macOS and iOS devices using iCloud.
- Create image placeholders to easily replace images without affecting the formatting of your page, slide, or spreadsheet (iOS only)
- Edit presenter notes in Keynote while presenting/rehearsing (iOS): Take notes, record feedback, or just improve your delivery without having to leave the presentation.
- New table of contents view. Added the ability to insert a table of contents onto a page in a word-processing document (both).
- A switch is now available on iOS that allows you to switch your document between word processing and page layout document types (both).
- Increase max zoom to 400% in Numbers (iOS)
- Make precise changes to row and column sizes in Numbers (iOS)
- Improved CSV/TSV import (both)