The Apple iPhone 12 5G comes in two flavours, each with two sizes.
The iPhone 12 series with a dual camera starts with the entry-level 5.4″ mini from $1199 and the standard 6.1″ from $1349. The only options are 64/128/256GB.
The iPhone 12 Pro series with a tri-camera starts at $1699 for the 6.1″ and $1849 for the 6.7″ Max. Memory options are 128/256/512Gb.
Perhaps the biggest change is the move to MagSafe Qi wireless charging, and a new Ceramic Shield front toughened glass.
Or that it no longer provides a charger and earbuds in the box – these are optional extras.
Let’s look at the features common to the Apple iPhone 12 5G series
- Apple A14 Bionic SoC with Qualcomm 5G technology
- IP68 Water-resistant
- Super Retina XDR (eXtended Dynamic Range) OLED
- 5.4” Mini – 2340 x 1080, 467ppi, 625/1200 nits typical/max
- 6.1” 12 – 2352 x 1170, 460ppi, same nits as above
- 6.1” 12 Pro – 2352 x 1170, 460ppi, 800/1200 nits typical max
- 6.7″ 12 Pro Max – 2778 x1284, 458ppi, same nits as above
- Supports HDR with Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG and Dolby Atmos decoding
- The Australian model has 5G Sub-6Ghz n78 enabled (not mmWave)
- Wi-Fi 6 AX, BT 5.0, NFC, Ultra-Wide Band chip, GPS
- Nano-SIM and eSIM
- Siri, Face ID, FaceTime Video, FaceTime audio, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling
- MagSafe and Qi charge for between 15/17/17/20 hours video playback
- MagSafe requires approved accessories like cases, wallets etc
- Optional 20W USB-C to Lighting fast charger – 50% in 30 minutes
- Frame mini/12 aluminium and Pro/Max stainless steel
- Weight 133/162/187/226g
- iOS 14
- 12-series in White, Black, Blue, Green, Red and Pro series in Pacific Blue, Gold, Silver and Graphite
Apple does not release battery mAh capacity nor RAM size. Except to say that these are sufficient to provide the claimed Apple experience.
Camera key differences
The mini and 12 share the same dual camera and the Pro and Max a tri-camera
The Max has a slightly better hybrid zoom range. LiDAR depth sensor and enhanced sensor-shift OIS.
|Pro 12-megapixel (Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto)||Dual 12-megapixel (Ultra Wide and Wide)|
|Ultra-Wide: ƒ/2.4 Wide: ƒ/1.6 Telephoto: ƒ/2.0|| Ultra-Wide: ƒ/2.4|
|2.5/2x optical zoom in, 5/4× optical zoom range, digital zoom at up to 12/10×||2× optical zoom out, digital zoom at up to 5×|
|True Tone flash with Slow Sync||same|
|Night mode portraits||N/A|
|Portrait mode with bokeh and Depth Control||same|
|Portrait Lighting with six effects (Natural, Studio, Contour, Stage, Stage Mono and High‑Key Mono)||same|
|Smart HDR 3 for photos||same|
|[email protected] and HDR 60fps same 30fps||same|
|Front camera 12MP, f/2.2, [email protected], screen fill light||same|
Availability – Apple iPhone 12 5G series
- Mini pre-order starts 7 November and shipping 13 November
- 12 pre-order starts 16 October and shipping 23 October
- Pro pre-order starts 16 October and shipping 23 October
- Max pre-order starts 7 November and shipping 13 November
GadgetGuy’s take – iPhone 12 5G is the long-awaited 5G update
While 5G rollout here is patchy at best, it is coming faster than you think. While lower-cost 4G iPhone SE and iPhone 11 will still dominate sales for a year or so Apple is back in the race.
Overall, the iPhone 12 mini is going to be very popular because it shares 99% of the 12/Pro series tech and offers a smaller pocket size for those without deep pockets.
I am surprised that the main difference between the 12 Pro and Max is just a .6″ larger screen making the Pro with extra storage the likely sweet spot.
As usual, Apple has produced a range that easily meets its users’ expectations.
And for Apple fans
Watch for other Apple announcement soon here