ASUS Australia has added the Eee PC T91 to its highly-successful Eee PC line-up. This new model is the first to sport an 8.9″ swivel touchscreen and a suite of touch-optimised software that enables users to get the most out of finger or stylus input.
A key benefit of the Eee PC T91’s touchscreen and tablet PC form factor is the flexibility they afford users. No longer must the device be used on a flat plane such as a table. With the Eee PC T91 folded flat like a slate, users will be able to use it comfortably while standing up. Users will be able to read notes, sketch ideas directly onto the screen, chat on IM, surf the internet, and play games while walking.
Furthermore, the Eee PC T91 accepts fingertip input and handwriting, ensuring that scrolling through documents and keying in text are simple affairs.
The Eee PC T91’s unique software applications, collectively known as TouchSuite, allow users to perform a myriad of fun tasks with their fingertips, such as touching up photos, creating photo albums, leaving handwritten desktop memos for loved ones, and sketching cartoons or custom emoticons. Programs of particular note include:
- FotoFun: allows users to flip through, organise and edit their photos via a customisable photo album interface. With just the flick of a finger, users can perform tasks such as adjusting image brightness, zooming in and out, and adding beautiful overlays such as frames. Users can even upload their edited pictures to popular photo-hosting websites conveniently via FotoFun.
- Memos: forgetting important appointments is a thing of the past with Memos. Memos allows users to jot down handwritten notes which can then be ‘stuck’ on the desktop. Users can even send interactive memos across Eee PCs. For example, a memo sent from a son’s Eee PC T91 reminding his father to see the doctor will appear on the father’s Eee PC T91.
- Touch Gate: takes ease of use to a new dimension by enabling users to switch between different user interfaces on the fly. Users can choose from XP Mode, which is the standard Windows XP interface with the addition of a convenient application dock
- Widget Mode: displays a plethora of information in neat, easily-organised widgets; and Touch Mode, a streamlined interface featuring large icons that makes it extremely easy for users to launch programs with their fingers.
Ensuring easy on-the-go usage, the Eee PC T91 measures just 225 by 164 mm, and weighs a mere 0.96 kg – making it one of the smallest and thinnest gadgets with an 8.9 inch display in the world today. It also features Wi-Fi 802.11n and Bluetooth connectivity, providing quick and simple wireless connections to the Internet and personal devices. At the flick of a convenient switch, users can change from the traditional landscape mode to a hand portrait mode.
Completing the portable package, The Eee PC T91 features ASUS’ exclusive Super Hybrid Engine (SHE) which reduces energy consumption up to 15%, letting users enjoy up to 5 hours of continuous use per charge. Additionally, users can also choose to upload up to 20GB of media and documents to the free online storage facility known as Eee Storage for access to files anytime, anywhere. Note that Eee Storage is complimentary only for the first 18 months.
- Operating system: Genuine Windows XP Home
- Display: 8.9″ LED-backlit / resistive touch panel
- CPU: Intel Atom Z520
- Chipset: Intel US15W
- LAN: Onboard 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller
- Wireless data networking: WLAN: 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth V2.1
- Memory: 1GB (DDR2)
- Storage: Total 82GB (16GB Solid State Drive + 16GB SD card + 30GB portable hard disk drive + 20GB Eee Storage)
- Interface: 1 x VGA port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor), 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x LAN RJ-45, 2 x audio jacks: Headphone / Mic-in
- Camera: 0.3 megapixel
- Reader: 3-in-1 MMC, SD, SDHC flash card slot
- Audio: Hi-definition audio CODEC, built-in high quality stereo speakers, Digital Array Mic
- Battery life: Li-Polymer battery, up to 5 hours
- Dimensions: 225 x 164 x 25.2 ~ 28.4 mm (W x D x H)
- Weight: 0.96 kg
- Optional: GPS, TV Tuner, 3G plus (HSUPA)
Price and availability
The Eee PC T91 is available from August at major retailers and computer resellers with an RRP of $999.