Cable and accessory maker Choetech is making some innovative and well-priced cables.
Choetech is no stranger to GadgetGuy – we have already reviewed its fantastic 5-coil, dual Qi charger, its 10W Qi car charger and my favourite – a 24W portable solar panel. It has proven its credentials to us.
Its international website reveals a veritable techy cornucopia of wireless chargers, USB-C and Apple cables, hubs, power banks and accessories that stack up to the ‘brand’ names in quality at a better price. It is worth a browse (make sure you select AUD pricing).
And until 31 July, you can use the special code for each item. Shipping may be extra. If buying power items, additional items specify Australian 240V pins. GadgetGuy has no commercial relationship with any brand or product we review.
Choetech USB-C to Lighting, 2m, Apple MFi certified (website here)
GadgetGuy recently did a thorough test of Apple iPhone fast charging and found that iPhone 8 or later with a higher wattage Apple USB-C charger could take its abysmally slow charge at four to five hours and using its 18W (or larger) USB-PD USB-C chargers go from 0-100% in about 1.5 hours.
The only issue is you need a USB-C to Lightning cable – the Apple one ain’t cheap.
We hesitate to use the term cheap with Choetech – perhaps more reasonable cost.
- USB-C to Lightning
- 2 metres
- MFi certification to 60W (with authorisation chip issued by Apple to ensure 100% compatibility)
- Data transfer rate 480Mbps (SATA 6 standard)
- PVC waterproof, wear and bend resistant coating over copper cable
- RRP $36.95 Discount code CT0036CD
We could not fault it in any way – it gets the tick.
Choetech USB-C to HDMI+PD, 1.8m (website here)
To be clear this converts USB-C to HDMI with the added benefit of using USB-C Power delivery to enable your device to charge (up to 60W) while displaying on an external monitor or TV up to [email protected]
You could use it on a smartphone, recent Mac or PC, Android or Chrome tablet/laptop with USB-C DP ALT mode (all are).
- USB-C to HDMI 1.4
- USB-C port for up to 60W upstream charging to the connected USB-C source (requires a USB-C wall charger to provide power)
- HDMI 1.4, gold plated, [email protected] or backwards compatible to 1080/720/480/360
- RRP $70.77 less discount code PD60WCODE
We tested on a 4K monitor, and it synced perfectly (many HDMI cables will only do 1K). When you add the benefit of charging, it becomes a no brainer. It gets the tick.