DJI, a leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, has launched, literally, Mavic Air, an ultra-portable, foldable camera drone focused on high performance, intelligent features and greater creative possibilities.
Mavic Air inherits the best features of DJI’s Mavic series with a 4K video capable camera for superior image quality, new QuickShot modes and SmartCapture for easier, more intelligent photo and video capturing, and FlightAutonomy 2.0 with Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems for smarter, safer flight.
“When DJI introduced the Mavic Pro, it reinvented what a consumer drone could be: powerful, yet portable, accessible, but advanced,” said Roger Luo, President at DJI. “Today, with the introduction of Mavic Air, we have pushed these attributes to the next level to create our best consumer drone yet.”
Portability and Power
At 430 grams Mavic Air is the most portable DJI drone ever created. Its folding arms and propellers sit flush against its frame, making nearly the size of a modern smartphone when folded.
- 3-axis gimbal camera
- 12MP, 1/2.3” CMOS sensor, 24mm F2.8 lens (equivalent on a 35mm full-frame sensor).
- HDR algorithms that preserve more highlight and low light details
- 4K video at 30 fps (100Mb/s) down to 1080p slow-motion video at 120 fps
- 720p real-time video transmission during flight
- 12MP still shots
- 8GB onboard storage and microSD slot
- USB-C 3.0 data and charge port
- Sphere panorama feature to automatically shoot and stitch together 25 photos, creating a 32-megapixel panoramic image. Also supports multiple panorama modes, creating horizontal, vertical, and 180° images
- QuickShot intelligent video modes with predefined flight paths that automatically keep the subject in the frame. Use Rocket, Dronie, Circle, or Helix plus two new modes Asteroid and Boomerang, to effortlessly create videos that once required significant piloting skills and sophisticated editing software.
- FlightAutonomy 2.0 processes data gathered from seven onboard cameras and infrared sensors to construct a 3D map of its environment for more precise hovering and better flight performance
- Improved forward and backward dual camera vision systems can sense obstacles up to 20 meters away
- Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems that helps pilots avoid and bypass obstacles automatically, providing an extra layer of reassurance during flight.
- Maximum flight time of up to 21 minutes
- It can fly stably at up to 68kph in windy conditions of up to 36kph and elevations of up to 5,000 m
- The remote features detachable control sticks that can be stored inside the controller.
- Omnidirectional antennas on the foldable landing gear help increase signal coverage to deliver a maximum range of up to 4km
Price and Availability
Mavic Air is available in three colours: Onyx Black, Arctic White and Flame Red.
A$1299 includes the drone, battery, charger, remote controller (compatible smartphone required), carrying case, two pairs of propeller guards and four pairs of propellers.
A$1599 adds two more batteries, a travel bag, two extra pairs of propellers, a battery to power bank adapter, and battery charging hub.
Mavic Air is available for pre-order, (select Australia) and authorized dealers. Pre-orders will start shipping on January 28.