Catch 25: GetReminded can list third-party links. But it has no responsibility for the content, data harvesting or even malware from those links. Surely it has a responsibility to check the veracity of any commercial links on an ongoing basis.
GetReminded may, with or without prior notice, without liability to you, with or without cause, and at any time, terminate your access to the Platform.
Catch 26. Not only is it not responsible for its actions but can terminate your account at any time.
Your private information
We may collect personal information, including:
- social media account usernames and information published on your social media accounts
- any other personal information requested or required by a Collection Channel
Catch 27: GetReminded can potentially supplement your profile with third-party social media profiles such as Google or Facebook that you can log in with. NEVER log in with third-party credentials as it allows two-way tracking and exchange of information.
How do we share your personal information?
- These recipients may be engaged by us to perform a variety of functions, such as legal and accounting services, data storage, support services, market research, communications and promotions and providing technical services for our websites or Platform. These companies may have access to personal information if needed to perform such functions.
- Some of the recipients of your personal information may be located overseas. GetReminded employees, data processors and other trusted third parties are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by GetReminded. However, security of communications over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. We will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information except to the extent required by the relevant privacy laws.
- The recipients of your personal information may be located in Australia or overseas. The recipients overseas may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. When we transfer your information to other countries or the recipient is overseas, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice.
GadgetGuy’s take: Please ACCC – make companies disclose data-harvesting in any guise
I have nothing against GetReminded, only that it should be upfront about its business model: ‘We will provide a reminder service in return for your information – and here’s how we will profit from it.’
It is a little worse in that advertisers are not prequalified to give you a better deal – they just pay for the opportunity to convince you to switch.
It is your right to sign up to GetReminded should you value what they provide. Just be clear on what it costs you. If you want to no longer use GetReminded, send an email [email protected]. Request termination of your account and immediate deletion of all information.
Always remember, IF THE PRODUCT IS FREE, THE PRODUCT IS YOU. We will call out any such apps when they come to our attention. BTW Price-comparison websites are probably the worst offenders of all.