Gone with the Wind celebrates its 70th birthday this year, and has been restored and remastered for both Blu-ray and DVD, and these new versions will be in stores on December 2.
There will be 2 editions of the film in the 2 formats – the Ultimate Collectors Edition, and the 2-Disc Special Edition.
Ultimate Collectors Edition
Includes the movie, plus a bonus disc with three new documentaries:
- ‘1939: Hollywood’s Greatest Year’, narrated by Kenneth Branagh
- ‘Gone with the Wind: The Legend Lives On’ – interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, events and museums
- ‘Moviola: The Scarlett O’Hara Wars’ – a 1980 WBTV Special, never before seen on home video
This version is a limited edition, and will also include a 40-page hardcover book with photos, production notes and more; a reproduction of the 1939 original program and ten 5″ x 7″ frameable art prints. As an extra bonus, the Blu-ray will include the documentary ‘MGM: When The Lion Roars’.
Other bonus material includes:
- The Making of a Legend documentary (1989 TV special, narrated by Christopher Plummer)
- Restoring a Legend – Chronicles the film/video restoration process
- Dixie Hails Gone with the Wind -1939 Premiere newsreel
- 1940 MGM historical short – The Old South
- Atlanta Civil War Centennial 1961 premiere newsreel
- International prologue
- Foreign language version sample scenes
- Theatrical Trailers
- Melanie Remembers: Reflections by Olivia de Havilland – Exclusive 2004 Documentary
- Cast profile – Gable: The King Remembered
- Cast profile – Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond
- The Supporting Players – cameo portraits of the ensemble
It’s 5 discs for the DVD version, while Blu-ray gets it in on 2 discs.
2-Disc Special Edition
This version includes the film, and commentary by the film historian Rudy Behlmer.
- Ultimate Collectors Edition: Blu-ray $79.95 RRP, DVD $59.95 RRP
- 2-Disc Special Edition: Blu-ray $29.95 RRP, DVD $19.95 RRP