The Harman Kardon HD 990 CD player is optimised, above all else, for precision playback, employing two high-performance stereo digital-to-analog converters to deliver fourth-generation Real-Time-Linear Smoothing (RLS III), which creates a spacious, richly detailed sound that other players simply cannot duplicate.
Perfect CD sound reproduction is ensured by a 24-bit/384kHz sample-rate converter, and a high-quality analog device AD1955 D/A converter for each channel. A digital processor, based around a 32-bit DSP, ensures that distortion is kept to a minimum. Additional sound optimisation is achieved through the use of third-generation Real-Time-Linear Smoothing (RLS III) system, which results in total linear phase processing and the highest possible jitter rejection. In addition, it has a frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz, harmonic distortion (THD) of less than 0.0009%, and excellent >117dB signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted).
Two real balanced outputs with dual Diamond Class A output stages, using XLR connectors, and optical and coaxial inputs and outputs are also featured. The HD 990 has a single High-Resolution Synchronisation (HRS) link for high-precision, jitter-free clock synchronisation and data transmission between HRS link-enabled devices such as the HK 990. The synchronisation cable is supplied, and of course, the HD 990 supports CD text and ID tags for MP3 files. The programmable playback sequence and supplied infrared remote control enables convenient CD-R and CD-RW playback, and the display can be dimmed as desired, or switched off completely, to suit the user’s taste.
Complementing their best-in-class performance and ease of use, the Harman Kardon HD 990 has an elegant, minimalist design, with gracefully rounded corners, a gloss-black top panel and dark-graphite lower panel, all accented by soft-white illumination.
- Support data: PCM: 16 to 24 bits, 30 to 96kHz
- DAC technology: Multibit Sigma-Delta modulatory with continuous-time-differential current output DACs
- DAC interface: 24-Bit/384kHz direct DSP mode
- Oversampling: 8x
- MP3 playback: Yes
- CD text: Yes
- Digital inputs: 1 x coaxial, 1 optical
- Balanced XLR outputs: Yes
- HRS Link: Yes
- Frequency response (±0.5dB): 20Hz – 20kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-Weighted): 117dBA
- Total harmonic distortion (A-Weighted): <0.0009%
- Line output level: 2.0V RMS
- Digital-Coaxial output: 0.5Vpp/75 ohms
- Dynamic range: >116dB
- Channel separation: >115dB
- Power requirement: AC 220V – 240V/50Hz
- Power consumption: 10w
- Dimensions: 63 x 440 x 332 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 3.9 kg
Price and availability
The new Harman Kardon HD 990 is available from selected Harman Kardon dealers from February 2009 for the RRP of $999.
Source: Convoy International