Huawei’s stars shine at CES 2018
Huawei is on a star-studded roll with its global smartphone business placing it as either second or third largest global smartphone designer and manufacturer (depending on which statistics are used). In any case, it is a magnificent result soundly unseating Apple from the second spot.
It did not hurt to have the super star of Wonder Woman, Gal Gadgot on its side either.
Huawei only started making its own branded smartphones four years ago. Its rapid ascent is in part because:
- It has a comprehensive range of phones covering what the market wants at fair prices
- It designs and make its own silicon chips (HiSilicon), because of a great partnership with camera technology maker Leica and design house Porsche
- It has a corporate culture called “fèndòu”. Very loosely translated it means it was founded on the ideal that all are created equal, and as self-made men, all strive and struggle for success. It is a very strong motivation and in part explains Huawei’s rapid ascent as a Global brand.
Huawei’s next market to conquer is the US, so a lot of CES attention was focused there. Huawei is among the top 10 Chinese brands set to take over US households by 2020 according to Business Insider Australia. It is a US$61 billion company; it has more than 170,000 employees, does business in more than 170 countries and shipped more than 140 million handsets in 2017. Gartner analyst CK Lu, who studies China’s smartphone makers, said, “From a global perspective, Huawei is the most successful Chinese brand.”
“We’ve experienced unprecedented growth worldwide and are now bringing our award-winning products to the U.S.,” said Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei Consumer Business Group. “Huawei is and has been in the U.S., and is part of a community of visionaries that strive to push boundaries and improve daily lives through technology. Our newest consumer solution, the HUAWEI Mate 10 Pro, is the smartphone that U.S. consumers need and deserve.”
As part the announcement, Huawei also introduced world-renowned actress Gal Gadot as its first Chief Experience Officer. In this new role, Ms Gadot will help shape the company’s brand experiences and play an active role in listening to and providing ongoing ideas to inform how Huawei will bring the best experiences to its consumers.
“Huawei is constantly pushing the boundaries and bringing cutting-edge technology to its customers, and I’m honoured to join the company as it launches the HUAWEI Mate 10 Pro in the U.S.,” said Ms Gadot. “Partnering with an innovative brand like Huawei is incredibly exciting for me, and I look forward to playing an integral part of the company’s growth in the year ahead.”
Huawei Mate 10 Pro features
- A powerful, faster and more personalised mobile experience, with the ability to reach gigabit LTE speeds
- New Leica Dual Camera with SUMMILUX-H lenses, with both featuring an aperture of f/1.6, and intelligent photography including AI-powered Real-Time Scene and Object Recognition and AI-powered Bokeh Effect
- A slim, yet large 4,000 mAh battery with AI-powered Battery Management for longer music playback, video playback, browsing and calling
- 6″ QHD+OLED HUAWEI FullView Display
- Kirin 970, AI-enhanced computing architecture with a dedicated Neural Network Processing Unit (NPU)
- World’s first end-to-end fast charge safety certification by TÜV Rheinland, a renowned industry leader for over 100 years
- All-new EMUI 8.0 based on Android 8.0
The Porsche Design has similar features plus 6GB RAM/256GB storage and a Porsche design User Interface
Huawei Unveils HUAWEI Wi-Fi Q2 Whole Home mesh Wi-Fi Solution at CES 2018
Huawei Consumer Business Group unveiled a hybrid whole home Wi-Fi system to deliver fast wireless connectivity for today’s smart, connected homes.
“We are streaming more content than ever before, more music, more movies, and more social media on more connected devices, which makes fast and reliable Wi-Fi an essential need,” said Richard Yu, CEO, Huawei Consumer Business Group. “The HUAWEI WiFi Q2 offers today’s families a hybrid whole home Wi-Fi system with a reliable, flexible solution that expands Wi-Fi throughout our homes.”
It uses a mesh Wi-Fi with a unique G.hn gigabit PLC module, which can traverse walls and break physical barriers. It also features an easily installation and configuration process, able to set up the main unit in five steps and enjoying plug-and-play connectivity for all sub-units.
Speeds up to 1867 Mb/s can be reached by bonding the speed of PLC and mesh Wi-Fi. It covers the same area with less units (than competing technology), and can support up to 192 connected devices simultaneously (with a complete system).
Designed to support up to 16 hotspots, users can add additional satellites that automatically connects to the network to expand coverage without the need for set up or configurations. By having a single Wi-Fi network in the entire home, the HUAWEI WiFi Q2 can offer 100ms switching time (with 802.11v protocol), meaning the system automatically connects users to the fastest hotspots and frequency for the smoothest connected experience, even when on the go.
HUAWEI WiFI Q2 has an anti-brute force algorithm to prevent outside and unwanted access to the network.