The Nokia N900, running the company’s new Maemo software, is to be announced at Nokia World, on September 2. Just the other day we learnt of Nokia’s first foray into making computers, with the Booklet 3G, and now here’s another big new… well is it a mobile phone, a mobile computer, tiny wee internet tablet? It’s one of those. Or all of those. How about we call it a mobile phone on steroids?
The N900 is a touchscreen phone, full touchscreen, but which also has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Operating system wise, it runs on Nokia’s new Maemo 5, which is Linux-based.
More specs? OK, here you go…
Screen: 3.5 inch touch-sensitive widescreen display, with 800 × 480 pixel resolution
- Camera: 5 megapixel camera (2584 × 1938 pixels), 3 × digital zoom, CMOS sensor, Carl Zeiss optics, Tessar lens, dual LED flash
- Keyboard: Full QWERTY tactile keyboard, full QWERTY onscreen keyboard
- Operating frequency: Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900; WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz
- Storage: 32 GB internal storage, 16 GB of additional storage with an external microSD card
- Music playback: Maemo media player. File formats: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
- Video: Video recording at up to 848 × 480 pixels (WVGA) and up to 25fps. Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
- Supported email protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP
- Mapping: Integrated GPS with A-GPS, pre-loaded Ovi Maps application. Automatic geotagging.
- Connectivity: 3.5 mm AV connector, TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable, micro-USB connector, High-Speed USB 2.0
- Web browser: Maemo browser powered by Mozilla technology, Adobe Flash 9.4 support
- Battery: 1320mAh
- Dimensions: 110.9 × 59.8 × 18 (19.55 at thickest part) mm
- Weight: Approx. 181 grams
Price and availability
There’ll be a lot more information available on the N900 after the Nokia World event on September 2. The only pricing details available right now is that the N900 will sell in the European market for 500 Euros. The only availability details right now is an October delivery to ‘selected markets’.
All Nokia Australia is saying is “We aren’t releasing a local announcement on this product at this time.”.