Apple has released the new MacBook Air 2020 with a 13.3” screen starting from A$1599.
Highlights of the MacBook Air 2020 include a new generation of powerful Intel processors with a first-ever-in-an-Air Quad-Core i7 CPU option. This delivers twice the performance of previous MacBook Air models according to Apple.
Also, with the upgraded Intel Iris Pro GPU, the new Air gets an 80% graphics performance bump and can support Apple’s incredibly high-resolution 6K Pro Display XDR.
We’ll be publishing our review of the MacBook Air next week, so stay tuned for our findings.
There’s a new Magic Keyboard included, which sports the improved scissor design found on the 16” MacBook Pro. The keyboard has a 1mm throw and new “inverted T” arrow key arrangement that is intended to be more intuitive to use.
The 13.3” screen is 2560 x 1600 pixels, 227 ppi, 16:10 ratio IPS LED and has ambient light adjustment. Side bezels are also narrower to make more use of the available space.
Now with three Intel Core processors choices (10th generation)
- i3, dual-core, 1.1/3.2Ghz at $1599 (We think it is i3-1000G4)
- i5, quad-core, 1.1/3.5Ghz at $1999 (perhaps i5-1030G7)
- i7, quad-core, 1.2/3.8Ghz TBA
- Storage is 256/512GB PCIe SSD, and there are factory options for 1 and 2TB (not user upgradable).
- Memory is 8GB LPDDR4X-1866 dual-channel and a factory option of 16GB ( not user upgradable).
- It has two Thunderbolt 3 ports (20Gbps) supporting USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps)
- It has Wi-Fi 5 (not Wi-Fi 6 as most new PCs have), BT 5.0 (SBC and AAC), stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos decoding (for headphones only), a three mic array and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
- 720p FaceTime HD camera
- Battery is 49.9WH with a 30W USB-C charger.
- Size is 304.1 (W) x 212.4 (D) x 16.1mm (H) and 1.29kg.
- Warranty – 1 year
- Colours: Space Grey, Gold, Silver
- Availability: Shipping between 27/3 and 3/4/2020. Pickup is not currently available.
GadgetGuy’s take: MacBook Air 2020 is a welcome refresh
MacBook Air users will be happy to have more power in a familiar, lightweight package. The new keyboard is good news too. Also, they’ll enjoy the peace of mind that it uses 100% recycled aluminium and 100% recycled tin in the circuit board solder.
Mac mini also updated
The standard configurations of Mac mini now come with 256GB at @ $1,299 and 512GB at $1,749.