Micron Technology has launched the Micron 5200 series of SATA solid state drives (SSDs) built on its new 64-layer 3D NAND technology.
The enterprise-class drivers offer a cost-optimised SATA platform for business-critical virtualised workloads that cripple on a hard drive, such as OLTP, BI/DSS, VDI, block/object and media streaming.
Micron claims they immediately deliver better total cost of ownership and improve data centre efficiency through server and storage platform consolidation, reducing IT costs and simplifying infrastructure and maintenance.
The quality of an SSD depends on the NAND it uses. Micron’s 5200 series of SSDs are engineered to deliver improved reliability with the industry’s lowest annualised drive failure rate for SATA enterprise SSDs according to datasheet specifications, offering better value with Micron’s known silicon-to-system quality advantage.
“Micron 5200 SSDs unleash market-leading performance, capacity and reliability, paired with a rich feature set and unprecedented flexibility, adding up to the ideal storage solution for business-critical workloads,” said Micron Storage Business Unite Vice President and General Derek Dicker.
“We simplified the server qualification process by leveraging the same foundational architecture that’s currently available on Micron SATA SSDs. Customers can trust the same proven controller and firmware design while taking advantage of advanced flash media for better performance, quality of service, and value,” he added.
Key features include:
- Quality of Service — offering up to 99.7 percent better QoS when compared to a mission-critical hard disk drive.
- Unmatched Capacity — the broadest SATA portfolio with capacities up to 7.68TB, twice the capacity of other SSDs on the market.
- Leading Performance — deliver up to 95k IOPS random reads and best-in-class 33,000 random writes, delivering strong performance in both areas.
- Leader in MTTF Offering —mean-time-to-failure (MTTF) of 3 million device hours, compared to the industry average for SATA enterprise SSD specifications of 2 million hours MTTF.
- Easy to Manage — hot-swappable, easy to install, and only take minutes to configure, saving both time and money on setup and maintenance.