Microsoft shrinks the Surface Pro to Surface Go – 10-inches enough for travellers
The original Microsoft Surface 3 was 10.8-inches. The Surface Pro went to 12.3-inches. At last, Microsoft has a 10-inch Surface Go for travellers. Fits nicely into handbags too.
Tell the truth my wife still uses my original Surface 3 10-inch. It fits into her cavernous handbag, she loves using it for Kindle eBooks, Sudoku and movies on the train. It is a good travel companion.
The rebirth of the Surface Pro, sorry Surface Go
- 7th Generation Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4415Y
- Ports: Surface connect ribbon, USB-C 3.1 (supports 4K out and power delivery), 3.5mm audio
- microSD card reader to 1TB
- Windows 10
- Fan-less design
- Up to 9 hours of battery life
- 165° hinge from standard to studio mode
- 3:2 ratio, 1800×1200, 216ppi, PixelSense Display
- Compatible with Surface Pen with 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity
- 5MP Windows Hello front camera
- 8MP auto-focus rear camera
- Wi-Fi AC and Bluetooth 4.1
- LTE model coming later this year
- 245mm x 175mm x 8.3mm x 520g (.77kg with keyboard)
- 24W power supply and fast charge for 0-80% in 60 minutes
- Supports Surface Dock
- Dolby Audio front-firing stereo speakers
- Available 28 August in Australia – pre-order available
- A$599 base model plus optional Go Keyboard cover and magnetic Pen
The 4415Y is a 14nm, two core, four thread processor running at 1.6GHz. It uses a miserly 4.5-6W of power.
Graphics are handled by the Intel HD Graphics 615. It is capable of single 4K or dual 1080p external monitor support. It has hardware decoding for H.264 and H.265 video.
The Surface Go will have 4/128 and 8/256GB SSD options. In any case, microSD takes some of the need away for larger storage, but 8GB of RAM is likely the best option.
GadgetGuy’s take – Surface Go presents a 9.7-inch iPad alternative
The secondary school market has been largely left to the 9.7-inch iPad. Now it has a real Windows competitor. If it has the same Surface quality, then it will be good for rough-house kids too.
But I see a market for travellers who want a 520g device to throw in a backpack or handbag. Being full Windows 10 Home, it will run Office 365 and all Windows programs well. No, it’s not a CAD machine.