NETGEAR at CES 2020 was about cementing its Wi-Fi 6 leadership and adding a 4G LTE Orbi alternative to the traditional wired internet options using Cable/Fibre or DSL connections,
We don’t know a lot of facts yet about these useful devices, but the release from NETGEAR at CES 2020 says they will be available in Australian and New Zealand in Q1, 2020.
NETGEAR AT CES 2020
NETGEAR Mesh Wi-Fi 6 system (US website here)
First, its relatively low cost – US$299 (add 50% for AU pricing) and it supports the Wi-Fi 6 Easy Mesh Standard meaning the promise that it may mix with other brands of compatible routers/extenders etc.
Mesh essentially means a multiple lower-powered router and satellites to cover the home.
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 AX 1800 (2.4GHz 600Mbps and 5GHz 1200Mbps)
- Tx/Rx Antenna: 2×2 (2.4GHz) + 2×2 (5GHz) MU0-MIMO
- No dedicated backhaul (e.g. tri-band) or wired ethernet channel (coming)
- Supports four nodes for approx. 300m2 coverage
- Single WiFi Name and Password
- Remote management via the Nighthawk app
If you want to learn more about Mesh – specifically what it will and won’t do read our guide here.
NETGEAR 4G LTE CAT 18 ORBI TRI-BAND WI-FI 5 AC2200 mesh router website here
Perfect for renters, those with no NBN or DSL access etc. You can also use it as a fall over for a wired internet connection. The only caveat is that you have good 4G LTE signal strength if you want to achieve its maximum of 1.2Gbps. Most 4G carriers will limit the speed to 50Mbps, but some offer carrier aggregation.
The router pairs with any existing Orbi satellite (or Orbi Voice satellite) and does the same as an Orbi setup. It includes the capability of adding Armor advanced cybersecurity and Circle Smart Parenting Controls to the network.
Price is expected to be US$399 (add 50% for estimated AUD) and should arrive in Q2, 2020.
NETGEAR M5 (MR5200) Wi-Fi 6 portable router wins a CES 2020 innovation award
- 5G Mobile Broadband Internet — Speeds up to 4 Gbps (carrier dependent)
- Wi-Fi 6 AX Technology
- Fixed Wireless Options — Bring 5G connection to your home or office
- Avoid the risks of public WiFi with VPN pass-through support and password protection