Nikon Australia has announced the introduction of the Coolpix S640 digital camera. With an ultra-fast autofocus system, a variety of automated shooting functions, and a 12.2 megapixel resolution combined with the quality optics of a precision 5x zoom NIKKOR lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage, the Coolpix S640 enables photographers to securely capture every moment.
Performance features include ultra-fast autofocus, the fastest start-up time in its class* of a mere 0.7 seconds and a short shutter-release time lag. This level of performance makes it easier to capture once-in-a-lifetime expressions with just the right timing.
The Coolpix S640 also features a custom optimised auto white balance system based on D-SLR technologies, producing beautiful pictures that benefit from more natural colour adjustments.
Optical lens shift VR images stabilisation combines with high sensitivity to achieve sharper and cleaner photos in a wider variety of unsteady or low-light situations. The Coolpix S640 can shoot at any image size up to its maximum of 4000 x 3000 pixels with light sensitivity settings of as high as ISO 6400. Fixed range auto allows you to limit sensitivity from ISO 100 to 400 or 800 for effective control over image quality.
The Coolpix S640 is equipped with Nikon’s new Clear Colour Display technology, greatly reducing reflection and improving visibility, even outdoors in the sun.
Complementing its attractive aluminium finish, the Coolpix S640 will be available to Australian consumers in a choice of Champagne Silver, Calm Black, and Precious Pink.
- Effective pixels: 12.2 million
- Image sensor: 1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 12.39 million
- Lens: 5x zoom NIKKOR; 5.0-25.0mm (equivalent with 35mm  format picture angle: 28-140mm); f/2.7-6.6; Digital
zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 560mm)
- Focus range (from lens): 45cm (1 ft. 6 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro mode: 2cm (0.8 in.) to infinity (∞)
- Monitor: 2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating, antifouling and water repellent
- Storage media: Internal memory (approx. 45 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards (not compatible with Multi Media Cards)
- Image size (pixels): 4000 x 3000 (High: 4000 /Normal: 4000), 3264 x 2448 (Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x
1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3968 x 2232 (16:9: 3968)
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Lens shift VR
- ISO sensitivity: ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, Auto (auto gain ISO 100-1600), Fixed range auto (ISO 100-400,
- Interface: Hi-Speed USB
- Power sources: Rechargeable Li-ion battery EN-EL12 (supplied), charging AC adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR) (supplied), AC
adapter EH-62F (optional), battery charger MH-65 (optional)
- Battery life: Approx. 270 shots with EN-EL12 battery
- Dimensions: Approx. 91 x 55 x 20.5 mm W x H x D) excluding projections
- Weight: Approx. 110 g (3.9 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card
- Supplied accessories: Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, Charging AC Adapter EH-68P, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video
Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM
- Optional accessories: AC adapter EH-62F, battery charger MH-65
- System Requirements: Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.6, 10.5.7; Windows: Pre-installed versions of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (32-bit Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate editions), Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Home Edition/Professional). Note CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.
Price and availability
The Nikon Coolpix S 640 will be available in mid-September, at an RRP of $499.