Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, a new DX-NIKKOR zoom lens with built-in Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction. This compact, lightweight and affordable 3x zoom NIKKOR lens offers remarkable versatility and covers the essential focal range of 18 to 55mm. When mounted on any DX-format Nikon digital SLR camera, the picture angle is equivalent to that produced by a 27 to 82.5mm focal length lens on a 35mm-format film camera or Nikon FX-format camera.
Nikon’s VR (Vibration Reduction) system minimizes the image blur caused by camera shake, providing the ability to shoot at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible (as determined in Nikon performance tests). Nikon VR technology enables dramatically sharper handheld shooting at dusk or at night, or even in poorly lit interiors. Another major advantage of Nikon’s VR function is that it produces a stable viewfinder image. This makes the process of framing and composition much more comfortable and accurate.
To deliver superior optical performance, Nikon set even stricter engineering standards for this new lens, and has achieved greater overall resolution. The newly developed optical system, optimized for use with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras, incorporates a hybrid aspherical lens element that minimizes image-degrading distortion. Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating ensures outstanding color balance and reproduction while greatly reducing ghosting and flare.
An ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) built into the lens body ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation. The seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening imparts a rich, natural look to out-of-focus elements. Furthermore, it boasts a short closest focus distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft. throughout the entire zoom range.
With compact dimensions of 73 x 79.5 mm/˜2.9 x 3.1 in. and a low weight of approx. 265 g/9.3 oz., this new lens is easy to handle and carry.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is a significant addition to the DX-NIKKOR lens lineup, offering digital photographers enhanced flexibility for a wide range of applications.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR will initially be supplied in kit form with the Nikon D80 and VR 55-200 lens.
Nikon D80 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR + AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR : $2,099 RRP
Lens only pricing: $369
DX-NIKKOR lenses are engineered and optimized for use on Nikon DX-format and FX-format digital SLR cameras. When mounted on an FX-format digital SLR, the camera’s DX-Crop Mode is automatically engaged, altering the image capture area accordingly. DX-NIKKOR lenses are not compatible with 35mm  or IX240 [APS] format film cameras.
Specifications, design, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
- 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm (picture angle is equivalent to focal length from 27 to 82.5mm in Nikon FX or 35mm format)
- Vibration Reduction enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible
- Optical design optimized for use with Nikon digital SLRs for superior performance
- Hybrid aspherical lens element minimizes lens aberration
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while substantially reducing ghosting and flare
- Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- 0.28 m/0.9 ft. closest-focusing distance throughout the entire zoom range
- Accepts 52 mm filter attachments
- Ergonomic lens barrel features rugged construction with a comfortable fit; separate zoom and focusing rings provide the accuracy professionals expect
- Focal length: 18-55 mm
- Maximum aperture: f/3.5-5.6
- Minimum aperture: f/22-36
- Lens construction: 11 elements in 8 groups (with one aspherical lens element)
- Picture angle: 76Ãƒ‚Ã‚Â° – 28Ãƒ‚Ã‚Â°50?
- Closest focus distance: 0.28 m/0.9 ft. (throughout the entire zoom range)
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.31x
- No. of diaphragm blades: 7 (rounded)
- Filter/attachment size: 52 mm
- Focusing Autofocus with built-in SWM and manual focus
- Diameter x length (extension from lens mount): Approx. 73 x 79.5 mm/2.9 x 3.1 in.
- Weight: Approx. 265 g/9.3 oz.
- Supplied accessories: 52 mm snap-on front lens cap LC-52
- Optional accessories: 52 mm screw-in filters, rear lens cap LF-1, flexible lens pouch CL-0815, lens hood HB-45
Source: Nikon Australia