Olympus Imaging Corporation has announced the Olympus E-620, the latest addition to Olympus’ consumer range of Four Thirds System-compliant E-System digital SLR cameras.
The new E-620, scheduled for release in Australia in April 2009, is the world’s smallest and lightest* digital SLR to incorporate an image stabilisation mechanism. Pricing is yet to be announced.
Main features of the E-620
- World’s smallest & lightest digital SLR body with built in image stabiliser. Outstanding portability with powerful image stabilisation compensation up to 4EV steps.
- 2.7 inch dual axis swivel LCD screen for greater shooting comfort
- Powerful, creative Art Filters, multi-aspect shooting and High-Speed Imager AF for easy-to-use, enhanced creativity and responsive Live View shooting for enhanced photographic expression
- 12.3 megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Sensor and TruePic III+ image processing engine for high quality imaging
- Newly developed 7 point AF system that delivers class leading high-speed performance with fast, accurate focusing and high-speed 4fps sequential shooting
Combining the compact digital SLR design ethos of the E-420 with the outstanding built-in image-stabilisation capability of the E-520, the new E-620 digital SLR camera offers an unprecedented level of ease-of-use, portability and sophistication for its class. Weighing in at just 475 grams, the E-620 employs a newly developed image stabilisation mechanism that provides up to 4 EV steps of effective compensation and a 2.7 inch dual axis swivel LCD screen. This level of portability is made possible through a substantial reduction in the component packaging size for the internal circuit boards and image sensor.
The E-620 also incorporates some of the outstanding new features which were first introduced in Olympus’ latest enthusiast digital SLR model, the E-30. Offering six creative Art Filters which can all be previewed when used with Live View mode, the E-620 boasts a colour intensifying Pop Art filter and a beauty enhancing Soft Focus filter. These filters enable photographers to easily achieve artistic modes of photographic expression that typically require the use of special lenses, add-on filters, or complex post-capture image processing techniques. The ease and comfort of Live View shooting is further enhanced by a High-Speed Imager AF that enables LCD based focusing with compact-camera ease and a dual-axis, swivel LCD screen that supports both horizontal and vertical Live View shooting. Additional feature highlights include Multi-Aspect and Multi-Exposure shooting capabilities.
Superb image quality is provided by the 12.3-megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Sensor and new TruePic III+ image processing engine. The E-620 also offers class leading high-speed performance with a newly developed 7-point AF system incorporating five twin-cross type sensors for fast, accurate auto focus and high-speed sequential shooting at four frames per second.
To provide an even wider range of choice for entry-level, intermediate and professional digital SLR photographers, Olympus will continue to develop and expand its line-up of digital SLR systems that comply with the Four Thirds System standard.
- Olympus’ internationally acclaimed Dust Reduction System
- Built-in flash with Commander function for wireless off-camera flash synchronisation
- Auto gradation adjustment to minimise over exposure in highlights and improve detail in shadows
- Multiple-exposure function with LCD monitor display of current view superimposed on previously captured image
- Face Detection & Shadow Adjust Technology for beautifully balanced exposure of foreground subjects and background scenery
- Perfect Shot Preview to compare the effect of various setting adjustments before actual shooting
- Large optical viewfinder with 95 per cent field of view and 0.96x magnification
- Shooting information display via Super Control Panel LCD monitor display for superior visibility and operating ease
- Illuminated buttons assisting night-time shooting
- Colour Universal Design certified for enhanced interface perceptibility
- High-precision, 49-zone metering system
- Scene modes with easy activation of shooting functions via sample image selection
- Versatile bracketing functions for ISO, white balance, exposure and flash
- Lightbox view with enlargement function for easy side-by-side comparison of images