The new Panasonic NN-CD58JS is a compact 27-litre, 3-in1 convection/grill/microwave. It features an oversized 34cm turntable.
It’s a slimline model reducing the overall footprint by 20% compared to similar capacity ovens. It did this by moving the fan/convection element from the rear to the top of the unit. As a result, it has a 34cm turntable – a few centimetres larger than competitive offerings.
Compact combo 3-in-1s are gaining popularity as modern apartments reduce kitchen sizes. This is evidenced by removing full-size ovens, installing half-width or drawer dishwashers and using two plate cooktops.
GadgetGuy has some experience with 3-in-1s.
We have not reviewed the Panasonic NN-CD58JS yet, so comments are more general.
- The 34cm turntable is ultimately more useful as it allows the use of larger cooking plates. It may only be 2-3cm wider than competitors, but it makes a difference.
- Its only 395mm deep x 310mm high x 520mm wide x 13.8kg – small for its 27-litre capacity
- Panasonic’s ‘logic’ controls are easy to use, e.g. defrost, Quick 30 seconds press, add time, auto cook, auto roast, etc.
- A new Chaos defrost system uses a random sequence of pulsing microwave energy to speed up the process
- 29 pre-programmed menus including pasta, chips, and healthy alternatives – a junior menu
- Ideas kitchen menu online for more adventurous cooking
- 1000W inverter microwave means plenty of evenly distributed power (6 levels 100/270/300/440/600/1000W)
- Grilling use the 1300W quartz heater element (3 levels 750/950/1300W) or a combination with the microwave
- Convection temperatures 150-220 in 10° increments
- Combo convection/microwave or grill/microwave
- Supplied with a grill/oven rack and enamel round plate
- Manual here
Canstar Blue rates Panasonic microwaves 4 out of 5 which is pretty good.
Panasonic NN-CD58JS price: $549
Panasonic also released the 32-litre, 1100W mid-sized 2018 inverter microwave range.
- NN-ST64JW, White, ($259)
- NN-ST65JW, Sensor, White ($279)
- NN-ST67JS, ($369) – Sensor, stainless steel front, half mirror glass door and silver chassis
- NN-ST69JS, ($395) – Sensor, stainless steel front and silver chassis
An optional Trim Kit to integrate the microwave into kitchen cabinets for a sleek, stylish look.
Panasonic has microwave ovens starting at 20-litre ($139) to 44-litre ($429)