We won’t rate it as it needs the right use case and the right expectations. If you want a balcony table light, it is perfect.
Philips Hue Lightstrip Outdoor 2 or 5 meter
It is a silicon white strip 20x11mm and approx. 5m long (4.870m plus 600mm lead-in cable and controller. It comes with the same 24V/1.67A (40W) IP67 rated transformer and has a controller rated for 24V/1.563A/37.5W. So, this draws close to the maximum rated amperage – you cannot daisy chain two 5m together.
It has 2000-6500°K whiteness and 16m colours. Brightness is 1650 lumens (500 nits) at 4000°K so it should be a nice glow that will cast a few mm around it. It is not a task light.
Now while it is sturdy, it is meant to become an architectural fixture and comes with white clips to fix it to a wall or roofline. In other word’s do not push the flexibility too much. You cannot cut it to size, so look for a place that fits.
We are waiting for a handyman that does not suffer vertigo to place it under our front balcony roof.
GadgetGuy’s take: Lightstrip Outdoor 2 or 5 meter
Again, this is mood lighting, and if you have the right use case (as we do), it is perfect.
GadgetGuy’s take – Philips Hue (overall)
This comes down to the raison d’être for Philips Hue – the right use case and the right place, plus the convenience of voice assistants (Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Home).
For example here is how we use it.
- We have a pair of Philips Light bars on top of the book cabinet in the media area. These each output 530 lumens (160 nits) and are perfect for casting a gentle up-light to the ceiling for TV watching.
- We have three E27 bulbs 806lm (235 nits) in the kitchen pendant lights. Most of the time we use 20% brightness, warm white but its easy to say “OK Google turn the kitchen lights to 100%”. And we have settled on a yellow/orange hue here to avoid the blue light syndrome
- In all the bedrooms we have E27’s in reading lamps. When turned on, they are 20% lilac (restful), but we can read (70% bright white) or get playful and ruby red is most favoured.
- A Philips Hue LightStrip adds some mood enhancement as well
- In the lounge, we have two Philips Hue Go Portables that provide mood lights as well as three hours battery-operated portability to the pool or balcony (see below)
Later we expect to add task lighting the kitchen and the bathrooms.
The point is that with Google Assistant this all meshes together very well. What we have found, however, is that the Philips Hue System with its separate Zigbee bridge has a greater transmission distance. This gives increased flexibility and reliability – especially after the internet or power outages where it recovers quickly and reinstates lights to the last condition.
5/5 for the right use – forgetting the cost of course.