Sign in with Microsoft
D-Link OMNA now on Android as well as iOS (review)
4.0Overall Score

Price (RRP): $249.95
Manufacturer: D-Link

Early in 2017 D-Link released its OMNA 180° security camera for the Apple Home Kit. That is great for about 10% of smartphone users, so it went to work on the other 90% who use Android.

Gadgeteer Thomas Bartlett reviewed the Apple Home Kit compatible device giving it 4.5 out of 5 saying, “Great picture, pleasant looking, if you live in an Apple ecosystem, you’re likely to be very pleased with one or more D-Link OMNA 180 CAM HD cameras.”

This review is about how it works under Android.

D-Link OMNA 180 Model DSH-C310

Out of the Box/setup

  • The camera
  • A 5V/2A micro-USB power adaptor (as it has no battery)
  • Documents

The camera distinguishes itself by the silver metal cylindrical design and a 180° lens – it is petite at 132 (h) x 58mm diameter.

No microSD card to record events is included (should be!). It supports SDHC Class 10 microSDXC cards up to 128GB.


Perhaps it is just because we review so many security devices that we expect to plug it in, download the app, set up an account, connect it to the Wi-Fi network and that is it. Well, in theory anyway.

As I have reviewed D-Link products, I have a MyDlink account. The dedicated OMNA app flashed up a cryptic message that the email address was in use – either use a different email address or go via the MyDlink app.

I opened the MyDlink app, went to set up the camera only to find it was not listed – it had all the DCS models, and this is a DSH model.

On a hunch, I went back to the OMNA app and this time just logged in with MyDlink credentials and voila! It found the device, entered a pairing code, and away we go.

The camera

There are no specifications for the megapixel or pixel um size. We do know that it is a 1/3.3” CMOS sensor (quite large), f/2.0 (good for low-light and will work down to 0 lux in mono and .3lux in colour) with a field of view of 180° (Horizontal) x 66° (Vertical). IR (infrared) night vision is up to 5 metres.