Price (RRP): $129
Is the Lenovo Smart Clock a sexy little bedside alarm clock or a fully-fledged Google Home speaker? Well yes to the first and not quite to the second.
- Lenovo Smart Clock is a 4-inch, 800 x 480 touch screen with a 1.5-inch 3W speaker and no camera. it offers a reasonable subset of Google Assitant features
- Google Home Hub (now called Google Nest Hub) is a 7-inch, 1024 x 600, touch screen with a 1.5-inch speaker and no camera. It runs a version of Chromecast and offers a wider subset of Google Home features including YouTube streaming.
- Lenovo Smart Display comes in 8 and 10.1-inch touch screen with a 2-inch 10W speaker and has a camera with privacy shutter. It runs Android Things – a full Google Assistant operating system.
- JBL Link View has an 8-inch, 1280 x 800 touch screen, 2 x 2” (total 20W) speakers, camera with privacy shutter and runs Android things. It sounds terrific and offers all Google Assistant functionality.
Review: Lenovo Smart Clock
Australian website here
Out of the box
- Lenovo Smart Clock
- AC adapter 20V/1.5A 30W with pin plug
- 4-inch, 800 x 400, IPS touch screen with ambient light sensor adjustment
- 1.5-inch 3W speaker and two passive radiators with physical +/- buttons
- Dual mutable far field mics (maximum 8 metres)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Rear USB-A 2.0 port (5V/.5A charging only)
- 113.88 x 79.9 x 79.2 mm (a wedge shape) x 328g in Soft touch grey woven cloth
- Wi-Fi AC dual band
- Ten different face styles – analogue, digital, minimal, and colourful faces, as well as weather-themed faces and a word-based one.
What Lenovo Smart Clock can do
- It performs all Google Assistant commands (see here)
- You can use Google Duo to make audio calls
- You can cast music to it
- Google Assistant Routines
- Charge a phone or smartwatch
- You can use it as a BT speaker – Hey Google Please connect Bluetooth
- Supports all “Works with Google Assistant’ authorised devices.
- Still functions as a clock and alarm if Wi-Fi drops out
- Alarm – OK Google snooze (10 minutes), 20-minute nap timer and Sunrise alarm to wake you gently and choice of tones or online music
- Can display some brand’s security camera images
What it cannot do
- You cannot stream video (but you can cast it to other Chromecast screens)
- Make video calls (no camera)
- Surf the web
- Will not link with Google Photos (photo frame)
- You can control smart appliances, but it is missing the Home View interface
How does it sound?
I can nudge 78dB with almost no harmonic distortion.
- Deep Bass: 20-40Hz – none
- Middle Bass: 40-100Hz – none
- High Bass: 100 to 200Hz – building
- Low-mids: 200-400Hz – flat (good)
- Mids: 400-1000Hz – flat (good)
- High-mids: 1-2kHz – flat (good)
- Low-treble: 2-4kHz – declining
- Treble:4-6kHz – declining
- High Treble: 6-10kHz – flat (good)
- Dog whistle: 10-20kHz – flat falling off at 13kHz
This is a mid-centric verging on Bright Vocal sound signature best for clear voice, yet it has just enough bass and more high-frequency response than most speakers this size. It is fine for personal listening.
BTW its way better sound than a Google Mini (below) that has virtually no bass, reasonable mids and then treble drops off a cliff. This is a mid-sound signature and is fine for mid volumes as a personal speaker but gets way too harsh at higher volumes.
GadgetGuy’s take – Lenovo Smart Clock is an alarm clock first, with large text and Google Assistant benefits.
It does not take advantage of its screen beyond showing the time and a few instructions. I don’t mind that as I don’t intend to peers at a 4-inch screen for video content enjoyment.
I particularly like the alarm failsafe – Google Assistant’s alarm function has let me down when Wi-Fi is unstable.
Back to the competition comparison
- Lenovo Smart Clock is the best bedside alarm clock with many Google Assistant benefits
- Google Nest Hub is for those that want Google Photo integration and Youtube on a 7-inch screen
- Lenovo 8 and 10.1-inch Smart Display are the best all-around Google Assistants with video integration
- JBL Link View has the best sound by far and does everything the Lenovo Smart Display does.