Price (RRP): $129.99
LIFX Wi-Fi Z LED strip is the latest LIFX offering unique ambient colour (and white) lighting to highlight aspects of your home.
The LIFX X Wi-Fi Z LED strip is a 1m long, thin, self-adhesive strip of RGB and White LED lights that can dim from 0-100%, and display 16 million colours and temperatures from 2500K to 9000K in eight zones. You can join up to ten strips for ten metres and even make up to 90° bends in the strips.
But the thing I like most about the LIFX X Wi-Fi Z LED is, “OK Google, turn on Z”. It can use Alexa or Siri as well.
LIFX Wi-Fi Z LED strip
Price: 2m (2x1M) starter kit including charger $129.99
Before you think about buying a LIFX Wi-Fi Z strip think about how you can use it. Caveat – they are not waterproof so that rules out the bathroom or outdoors.
First, each 1m strip can generate up to 700 lumens (dimmable) without glare or blue light. That is for a paltry 8W of power (at 100% brightness) – roughly equivalent to the light output of a 45W incandescent bulb.
Second, you can voice control them so no more fumbling for a light switch that could be metres away. Remember that these have no ‘reflector’, so you are bathed in light emanating from the strip/s.
It could be as
- A task light at a desk/nook or in a workshop.
- Add light above the kitchen bench (under the kitchen cupboards)
- Highlight an Objet d’art – painting, TV, sculpture etc.
- Voice-activated light in difficult lighting environs like entrance hallways or stairwells
- Emergency lighting (activated by voice or IFTTT)
- In the man/woman/person cave for fully adjustable mood lighting
- As bedroom night light (low-energy lighting)
- As Christmas tree lights (that can match the light pulsing to music)
My point is that light need not come from a single bulb (as we are conditioned to believe) and if you think about it you will start to see where energy-efficient, stick-on lighting strips may improve lighting, safety and convenience. Just add a powerpoint.
- Download the LIFX App for Android (tested) or iOS
- Set up a LIFX account
- Plug in the power adapter (24V/12.5A/30W) and at least one strip (do this initially near your router)
- Use the app to discover the LIFX Wi-Fi Z LED strip and link it to the router 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi (it does not use a Zigbee hub)
- It will ask you to add a room location and name the strip
- Add it to OK Google (easy with the new ‘OK Google Sync my lights’ command) or Alexa or Siri
- Update firmware
Then you can clean the surface to apply it to (alcohol sachet provided), remove the 3M self-adhesive backing and stick. Simple but the adhesive is there for keeps!
My only issue is that the 1m strips don’t have a locking joint mechanism and its very easy to pull them apart. And you can’t screw them to a wall. A: use some sticky tape over the joints and clean the surface thoroughly – it does stick to stay!
Zones – via the app
I really like that you can address up to eight zones per strip (via pre-set themes) so you can tailor the light strip by brightness, colour and degrees Kelvin. For example, you may want 100% over the kitchen sink and 50% over the bench – no wasted energy here.
Or if you are using it where you do not want to see LEDs in front of you then turn those zones off.