GadgetGuy’s take. OPPO Find X, Different, good
You buy this phone for the style and design. If you want the best-looking smartphone with the highest WOW factor, then this is it. It is a marvellous piece of out-of-the-box thinking.
If you want a phone that offers you the most features or the best camera, then the GS9or GN9 is the way to go – but it will cost a few hundred dollars more.
I could suggest that Sony, LG and Google Pixel’s almost pure Android is better than a ColorOS user interface. The fact is that all the majors now commit to Android security system updates. UIs, cater to the Google-free Chinese market.
XDA Developers website has a comprehensive Find X user forum. Note that most comments are about the Chinese version and to meet its government restrictions.
OK, sermon over.
- The first bit of original design in many years. I would put it up there with Motorola Z series and its magnetic clip-on mods!
- The highest screen-to-body ratio ever (93.8%) – it is 6.42” of all glass courtesy of the pop-up camera. Perfect screen too.
- The camera is on par with other flagships.
- Selfie camera goes above and beyond with AI and beautification
- OPPO know how to tune the Qualcomm 845 flagship processor. It also uses all the 845 smarts instead of cheaper ‘’
- 3D face recognition is fast in all light scenarios
- The fast pop-up camera should last
- Flagship grade in almost every respect
- ColorOS needs a little learning to find where everything is
- When XDA Developers works out how to install Android One, this will unlock the phones full potential
$1099 from JB Hi-Fi
We rate it using the flagship paradigm. It loses some points for lack of IP, Qi and NFC but wins some on design.
- Overall: 4.4 out of 5
- Features: 4 out of 5 – missing some of the desirable flagship features
- Value for Money: 4 out of 5 – About average
- Performance: 5 out of 5 – Qualcomm 845 perfectly tuned powerhouse
- Ease of Use: 4 out of 5 – You will need to learn Colour OS
- Design: 5 out of 5 – excellent use of the pop-up camera for 93.8% S-T-B-R
$1099 from JB Hi-Fi.
See why OPPO have become so fashionable.