Price (RRP): $899
In the beginning was the OPPO R-series. And all was at peace with the world wanting good value, performance and a little class. Enter the OPPO R17 Pro, and it’s a hell of a phone putting many flagships to shame
Do you want?
- The world’s fastest charging – 30 minutes and it is full. Got it!
- Sexy new, non-boring colours – like Radiant Mist or Emerald Green. Got it!
- A variable aperture camera that works in low light as well. Got it!
- 3D TOF camera that may just help clothes shopping online
- A huge, huge I tell you, 6.4” AMOLED screen. Got it
- Comprehensive comms: 21 LTE bands, BT 5.0, NFC, Wi-Fi AC. Got it!
- One of the first using Qualcomm’s new 10nm 710high performance, AI enhanced, eight-
core processor(uses same cores as the Qualcomm 845). Got it!
- Don’t want to spend a fortune? At $899 you got it!
OPPO R17 Pro is an outright winner. But let’s do the review anyway to see if all that glistens is Emerald Green or Radiant in the Mist?
Review: OPPO R17 Pro Model CHP 1877
How we rate it on price
- Flagship >$1000
- Mid to high $500-999
- Mass-market $200-499
- Value pre-paid <A$199
This sits in the upper-mid tier where competition from last years flagships like the Samsung S8, LG V30+and more traditionally dominate. These have things like Qi charging or Qualcomm’s 835 2017-18 flagship SoC. There is nothing wrong with buying these either – amazing value too.
But the OPPO is new tech. Added to what are two of the most attractive colours it stands up
There is also an OPPO R17 (Website here) for $699, and we will highlight some of the differences in this review.
In the box
Australian Website here
- Super VOOC charger outputs either 10V/5A or 5V/2A
- Super VOOC USB-C to USB-C cable (required for fast charge)
- USB-C earbuds and mic
- Colour matched soft plastic bumper case
The first impression is svelte, Emerald Green (dark iridescent green) glass slab with a small top teardrop (no ugly notch), very narrow bezels and almost no chin. It has 91.5% screen-to-body-ratio.
Buy here – or you will regret it
The Model number is CPH1877 for the 6/128GB, dual SIM version.
From what we can find there are about a dozen variants for different countries and carriers. It is also sold elsewhere as an RX17 Pro.
We issue the standard warning that you must buy the genuine Model with Australian firmware as it works on all Australian Carrier LTE bands and can make a 000 emergency call without a sim.
|Size: 6.4-inch (2280 x 1080 pixels), 402ppi, Full HD+ 19.5:9, 24-bit colour|
| Notch: Small centre teardrop 91.5% S-T-B-R|
|Screen Protection: Gorilla Glass 6 and a pre-applied screen sensor|
|Colour: 100% NTSC colour gamut|
It is one of the largest AMOLED screens available. It is for people that use the phone as a primary onramp to internet and email. Despite its massive screen size, it is physically small. And at 402 ppi it is pin sharp.
We measured brightness at 455 nits – that is great for daylight readability although the screen is reflective. Contrast is infinite. It is
Colours are accurate, and there is an adjustment for Cooler, Default and Warmer as well as Night Shield (low blue light).
Gorilla Glass 6 is twice as resilient as the fifth generation and can survive 15 one-metre drops on to a rough surface.
The lower cost R17 shares the same display.