It can be set to give off a 110dB alarm which is the equivalent of a screening child, and we all know how effective that can be. It is more to alert an intruder you are watching.
If 2Mb/s upload is minimum that is 15MB a minute. With motion detection set correctly you may have 5-10 minutes of motion per day, and you will watch live video as well – about 2GB over a month. It may pay to hook it up to a 3/4G pre-paid broadband router if Wi-Fi availability or internet bandwidth is an issue.
Yes, we swore at it – pathetic camera quality nowhere near HD. But it was not the camera’s fault. We normally test such equipment at an NBN equipped home, but the display unit provided was just a little bulky to take there.
The Ring Floodlight Cam provides adequate video quality (depending on bandwidth), and its motion sensor, and zone setup is excellent. As part of a Ring ecosystem of cameras and video doorbells, it is a good buy.
You will need a Ring video subscription.
- Good picture quality in daylight
- Floodlights can supplement mono IR for night
- One of the best and most flexible motion detection zone setups
- See live video via the app and two-way talk enabled
- Quality metal construction and easy to adjust angles
- Video recording especially of motion detection events requires a Ring cloud subscription
- No microSD card backup
- Lights are not as powerful as traditional Par38 floodlights
- The two-way talk will be laggy to unusable if Internet speeds are slow
$379 from major retailers, hardware stores, security companies and online
- Overall: 3.8 out of 5
- Features: 4 out of 5 – it has all the features expected of a floodlight cam – it just does not quite live up to the marketing hype. Needs some offline recording, e.g. SD if the internet is down or you don’t want to subscribe.
- Value for money: 4 out of 5 – reasonable given the cost of competitive products
- Performance: 3 out of 5 – If you have good internet and Wi-Fi speed then you can take this rating up a notch
- Ease of Use: 4 out of 5 – Easy enough to set up but needs offline recording
- Design: 4 out of 5 – Attractive enough and not out of place on a home’s exterior