Water – swimmingly
It is rated to 5 ATM (50m) with a swim tracker app as well. It is also IP68, and MIL-STD-810G rated so its perfect for the gym and outdoor adventures.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active Features
Different watch faces can highlight different features. For example, some are focused on heart/walking/date and time. Others are more suited to running with sprints and splits.
Underlying that is
- Daily activity – an overall monitor of daily exercise
- Stress levels. It can estimate stress levels from heart rate and your activity and bring up a stress relieving regimen. No, it is not a gimmick but a very useful tool.
- Sleep. It now measures four levels of sleep – awake, light, deep, and REM. It is to do with restlessness, turning over, laying dead still and heartbeat. Again incredibly accurate and useful.
- There are several swipe left/right screens to access commonly used screens or use the Samsung user interface.
Samsung Health is the real star
I have been using Samsung Health since V1.0. Today it is up to 6.1.1XXX showing some years of development and meeting user requests.
To cover it fully would take a full review, so I will let you read all about it here and just point to some salient uses.
- Walking, running, jogging, cycling, floor climb and over 30 other exercises including GPS mapping. Automatically activates a minute or so after the exercise is detected
- Heart rate
- Calories burnt (important for calorie based diets)
- Stress (an amalgam of the sensors)
- Point, scan and keep track of food intake with Bixby Vision. I wish I could say it worked as advertised – we found it was fine with common foods, but you can also use the log meal function for manual input and include a photo. Bixby is also available for other uses. It does not support Google Assistant.
- Goals, badges, friend and community challenges – as if you need the motivation to exercise
- Data stored on the Samsung cloud and protected by Knox means good portability
- Additional third-party apps and programs as well as add on BT devices (scales, chest straps, glucose-metre, thermometers, etc)
GadgetGuy’s take: My wife swiped the Galaxy Watch Active!
My wife uses a Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro, and the moment she saw the adorable smaller watch on my meaty wrist, I knew she would get it.
Because it is a modern, elegant, premium device and uses Samsung Health it is an easy swap for her.
At $299 it is the affordable crossover fitness/smartwatch. For 99% of Joe and Jane Averages, this plus Samsung Health is way more than you need. If you only buy one smartwatch, this is it.