GadgetGuy’s take – yes, I am taken with the Sony XZ2
This is the Sony that renews my confidence in the brand. It can make a desirable flagship that I would be happy to own. I am not keen on the ‘ambient flow’ glass, but as I always use a case, it is not an issue.
It’s time to march into JB Hi-Fi and compare the Samsung S9, Huawei P20 Pro, Google Pixel 2 (well wait for the Pixel 3) and HTC U12 Pro. My gut feel is that it will make the final two cut then your heart takes over. Great job Sony.
If you want a smaller 5-inch phone, the Sony XZ2 Compact is just as good sans Dynamic Vibration and a glass back cover.
- Above average camera – Motion Eye Mark II
- 2020 HDR colour space and 18:9 screen
- Dynamic Vibration enhances the viewing experience
- Qi charge
- IP65/68 certified
- Good battery life
- Way to slippery – you feel like it will slip out of your hand
- No fast charger supplied – tightwads
- No 3.5mm jack (adapter supplied)
- I gave up trying to capture good slo-mo
- Selfie camera is meh!
- The fingerprint scanner is a little too low down – you have to be careful
- No OIS on the camera. Intelligent Active Steady Shot works but not as well
- Overall: 4.4 out of 5
- Features: 4.5 out of 5 – got it all expect OIS
- Value for Money: 4.5 out of 5 – a tad below comparable flagships
- Performance: 4.5 out of 5 – No lag
- Ease of Use: 4.5 out of 5 – You will need to learn EMUI
- Design: 4 out of 5 – slippery little Sony XZ2