Tasco Sales (Aust) Pty Ltd, exclusive Australian distributors of Ricoh digital cameras, announces the release of the Ricoh R10. In addition to its 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens (28-200 mm in 35 mm film equivalent focal length), this new digital camera features a 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, an electronic level, and other new capabilities to further enhance its utility as a tool for easy photography with advance photographic functions.
Price and availability
The R10 is available now, at an RRP of $499.
The new Ricoh R10 is the successor model to the very popular Ricoh R8 ( launched March 7, 2008), which featured a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens, a high-resolution 10 megapixel CCD, Smooth Imaging Engine III, and a body combining operability and portability. Inheriting many distinctive characteristics from its predecessor, the Ricoh R10 also has a wide range of advanced capabilities, such as a 3.0-inch 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, the electronic level that is a very popular feature on the GR DIGITAL II (launched November 2007) and the GX200 (launched July 2008), and a flag function enabling quick call-up of selected images.
Inheriting the Ricoh R8 design concept “A tool you will want to use every day,” the Ricoh R10 has a top cover with the same beauty and solid, metal feel. And an easier-to-hold grip has been added to further increase ease of use as a photographic tool.
High-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor
- The large, high-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor has a wide viewing angle and high contrast for easy viewing even when shooting outdoors.
Electronic level utilizing an acceleration sensor
- The new electronic level is convenient for keeping the camera level when shooting landscapes, buildings, and other scenes where tilting of the subject is a concern. The level indicator shown on the LCD display makes it possible to confirm that the image is level while shooting.
- It is also possible to check whether the image is level using the level sound setting. When this setting is on, a level sound is continually emitted at a set interval if the camera is level.
- The acceleration sensor also makes it easier to view images on the LCD display by automatically rotating the images to horizontal or vertical during playback.
A 28 to 200 mm 7.1x optical zoom on a body featuring both operability and portability
- Ricoh’s original double retracting lens system has made it possible to mount a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens on a body measuring only 22.6 mm at its thinnest point. This lens can handle a wide range of conditions from wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and tight indoor scenes (with limited space between camera and subject) to high-impact telephoto shooting.
- With the step zoom function, it is possible to change the optical zoom magnification in seven fixed steps (28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm, and 200 mm equivalent). The step zoom can be easily switched on and off by assigning it to the new Fn (function) button.
High image quality with a high-resolution CCD and the highly evaluated image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine III
- For high-quality images with both high resolution and low noise, the Ricoh R10 combines an effective 10 megapixel 1/2.3-inch CCD with Smooth Imaging Engine III, an image processing engine capable of handling a wide range of shooting conditions.
New image flag function facilitates quick display of desired images from among the many photographs taken
With the image flag function, it is possible to flag up to three image files for quick display from among the images in the camera. When travelling, this function is convenient for calling up images shot for future reference (for example, photographs of maps and time tables).
The RICOH R10 takes the concept of “A tool you will want to use every day” to a new level of functionality
- Fn (function) button – The Fn (function) button makes it possible to switch selected settings with just one push. Custom defining a frequently used setting, such as target shift or AE lock for auto shooting mode will make it possible to quickly switch functions by just pushing the Fn button during shooting.
Enhanced grip and design sense
- The change to a grip popular for its ease of use has made the camera easier to hold while enhancing its design sense. The Ricoh R10 achieves utility plus styling that intensifies a simple, functional beauty and eliminates design frills.
Easy shooting mode to enjoy shooting with simple operations
- With easy shooting mode only frequently used functions are engaged, and it is possible to shoot using operations easy for almost anyone. By pushing the Fn button when in easy shooting mode, it is possible to specify backlight compensation, which is convenient to use for backlit scenes.
Extensive shooting functions enhance enjoyment of image creation