If you own a Samsung Device that uses the Samsung Cloud, be aware that Microsoft OneDrive will replace it over the next year. If you do nothing, you will lose your backup files after 1 April 2021.
The Samsung Cloud does many things, but mostly it is about backup and restore of Samsung Apps (not Google Apps)
- Calendar: Events and tasks
- Contacts: Contacts, email addresses and business cards saved on your device or SIM
- Phone: Call and message history
- Clock: Alarms, world clocks, and timers
- Home screen: Layout, wallpapers
- Samsung DeX settings
- Apps: Installation files and app settings
- Settings: Accessibility settings, ringtones, Samsung Keyboard options, Wi-Fi settings, and Always on Display settings
- Messages: Multimedia messages and text messages
- Music: Audio files (MP3, M4A, 3GA, OGG, and WAV files)
- Voice Recorder: Audio recordings
- Documents: DOC, PDF, TXT, and HTML files
You need to have a Samsung ID and enable some of these settings under Settings>Accounts and Backup>Samsung Cloud. There you will see how much of your free 15GB is left – Gallery, Calendar, Internet, device settings and more etc.
What will it continue to do
If you allow it then backing up/syncing and restoring Samsung App data (such as Contacts, Calendar, and Notes) will continue. You can get details on how to download your data to mobile or PC here or move it to OneDrive here.
GadgetGuy’s take – Vale Samsung Cloud – no big deal
First, the backup of a phone/tablet settings will continue if you allow it. That is a good thing.
Second, it really only affects data from Samsung Apps. But it portends a future move away from its apps to either Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and importantly Outlook) or the Google G-suite (you can use Google Sync as well).
It also portends the closer integration between Windows and Android. The only downside is that Samsung had 15GB free and OneDrive as a free 5GB tier.
As the Japanese say, “If you want rice cakes, go to the rice cake maker”. Microsoft is much more skilled at cloud and apps.
You can read more Samsung articles and reviews here.