The new Samsung Family Hub 3.0 Refrigerator is the latest iteration of its smart ‘talking’ refrigerators. There are three in the range.
First, the Samsung Family Hub (Australian website here) is a particularly large 600+ litre range of French door fridge. Two have an innovative Entertainer’s Drawer for fresh meat, poultry and fish, chilled beverages, deli foods or wine.
Second, the right door is basically a very large 21.5-inch hi-res touchscreen tablet with an Android smartphone app.
Samsung has announced new app partners including Uber, Nespresso and Ring Doorbell. These join Woolworths and Spotify in Family Hub’s stable of apps.
With Samsung Family Hub 3.0 you can (among many things)
- Create up to six family profiles (users)
- Order for more Nespresso coffee capsules
- Book an Uber
- See who is at the front door
- Order groceries directly from Woolworths
- Use the internal cameras to see what’s inside the fridge from a mobile phone
- The recipe app has over 180,000 recipes and can search based on what is in the fridge
- The Meal Planner provides recipes based on food preferences, dietary restrictions and food expiration dates (minimise waste)
- Cooking timer
- Weather check
- Check your calendar
- Create a to-do list
- Display family photos
- Leave a memo or sticky note
- Talk to it with Bixby (which means more AI functionality)
- Browse the internet, read newspapers, and play YouTube or compatible content
- Cast movies and TV from a recent Samsung TV or smartphone
- 2 x 5W AKG premium quality speakers for deep, rich-sounding bass. Connect to a music streaming platforms such as internet radio stations or Spotify Premium accounts
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
- Manage fridge and check stats
- Samsung Tizen OS
- Connects to Samsung Smart Things as a hub
- Water/ice needs plumbing in
“Australians are starting to realise the benefits that integrated smart technologies can make to their lives. The Family Hub is a great example of just how innovations in connected products can help make life easier,” says Jeremy Senior, Director Home Appliances at Samsung Electronics Australia.
The Samsung Family Hub (SRF651BFH3) is available now from Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi Home, The Good Guys and Bing Lee with an RPP of $5,499.
GadgetGuy’s take – I now covet a Samsung Family Hub 3.0
My problem is that I love big fridges but buy homes that won’t fit them. You need at least 950 (W) 1900 (H) x 800 (D).
When I first saw it a couple of years ago, I thought it was a solution to a problem no one had yet. Now I see the value of a connected device.
I have since spoken to a few owners to see if I should remodel my kitchen to accommodate the massive fridge. Without exception, they will never go back to a standard double door fridge.
In part that is the triple cooling system and the massive French door ultra-wide fridge section.
In part the entertainers draw has become a wine cellar.