Samsung’s Wireless fast charger will power a Galaxy (review)

Samsung’s Wireless Charger Convertible (2017) sets new speed records for charging a Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone – or any other QI or PMA compatible smartphone.

The black leather look EP-PG950BBEGWW allows use as a charging stand or a flat pad.

The stand function is convenient for those interminable, on-hold complaint calls to Telstra or viewing a movie. The pad is 117.4mm round and 28.6mm deep. It has a cooling fan but I never heard it during the long test.

The fast charge function refers to the ability to use a Samsung Adaptive Fast charger that outputs 5V/2A and 9V/1.67A (10-15W output) and pass the two voltages at 1A through the charger, significantly reducing charge time.

In tests using the approved Samsung USB-C cable and black adaptive fast charger, it took 85 minutes for a full charge on a Samsung Galaxy S8+ (screen off). Using the wireless charger took 120 minutes – that is very good for a wireless charger.

You can also use a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2/3.0 charger, and this will give fast charge. Naturally, a 5V/2A charger does not provide fast charging.

Why wireless charge?

Wireless charging is cojvenient and removes any risk of wear on the smartphone connnector.

Micro-USB is notoriously fragile, and the female port on many phones can be easily damaged. USB-C on the Galaxy S8 series is more robust, but there still is a physical connection which may wear.

Note the pad has a USB-C connector but also has a micro-USB converter to allow the use of older chargers.

Is it reliable?

I have been using wireless chargers since Nokia introduced 5W charging a decade ago. The key is to place the phone carefully on the charger pad and check if the charging light comes on. Do that, and it is 100% reliable.

Does it hurt the battery especially leaving it on the pad overnight?

To the contrary wireless charging uses battery intelligence to provide just the right amount of charge and switches off when the battery is full. There is anecdotal evidence that wireless charging is better than cable charging for battery longevity.

Can I use a case on the phone?

Most cases up to 3mm thick will allow fast charging to pass through. Unfortunately, you will have to try with your case before you buy.

A note on Samsung Adaptive Fast charge.

For Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note 8, the adaptive wall charger supplies 9V/1.67A when the battery level is <60%. When the battery level is 60>%, it uses 5V/2A.

Fast charging fills the first 60% of the battery in about half the time. The remaining 40% charges at normal speed.

The Wireless charger indicator LED shows what is happening

  • Green: Fully charged – no power transmission
  • Light blue: Normal charging – 5V/2A
  • Dark blue: Fast charging – 9V/1.67A

GadgetGuy’s take

It does exactly what it says – if used with a Samsung Adaptive fast charger it significantly reduces typical wireless charge time.

I love wireless charging – I have pads beside the bed, in the work area, lounge, car and work. It is one of the greatest underrated technologies and influences my choice of smartphone.


  • Well-made premium leatherette finish
  • Provides adaptive fast charge within the parameters of Wireless charging
  • Love the stand and pad flexibility
  • Works with any Qi or PMA charge system including the new iPhone X (note Lightning connector not supplied)


  • Adaptive fast charging is not as fast as cable charging if you are in a hurry


  • Overall:  4.6 – even higher if you can bag a bargain
  • Features: 5 out of 5 – Qi. PMA, fast charge – what more do you need
  • Value for Money: 4 out of 5 – shop around and knock this rating up a notch
  • Performance: 5 out of 5 – flawless
  • Ease of Use: 5 out of 5 – plug and go
  • Design: 5 out of 5 – minimalist and elegant

Price – it is expensive if you are not using the fast charge feature.

RRP is A$119, but you can save 20% shopping online.

Value for money
Ease of Use
Reader Rating0 Votes
Fast wireless charge - nirvana
none really