Samsung Australia has released its Samsung 2020 TV range including new 4K and 8K TVs, a range of lifestyle TVs and new soundbars.
The Samsung 2020 TV range launch was via teleconference to fellow COVID convicts so, we have not seen the devices in the flesh nor partaken of copious libations and canapés. So, you will have to take our sober word for it and reviews will probably be substantially delayed due to COVID lockdown.
We are impressed at the extent of the Samsung 2020 TV range – it is not just good, better best but throw in terrific and awesome levels.
That is not to say that 2020 TVs from LG, Sony and Hisense are worse (or better). But Samsung is counting on some new technologies to take the crown.
Samsung 2020 TV Range
Remember 2020 models have the model letter T (2019 is R)
Most QLED TV models support
- 100% DCI-P3 colour volume
- HDR 10+ (a Samsung proprietary HDR above HDR10 and below Dolby Vision) with different levels of brightness from 1000 to 4000 nits
- AI upscale
- Ultra-wide view
- AMD FreeSync
- Adaptive Sound+
- Active Voice Amplifier (AVA)
- OTS (4-speaker) or OTS+ (8-speaker)
- eARC, HDMI 2.1
- Wi-Fi 5 AC and BT 4.2 with Chromecast and Mirroring
- Real Game Enhance +
- Samsung Q-Symphony mode that with a Q-Symphony soundbar uses the TV speakers for a wider sound stage.
- Bixby, Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for smart home use and AirPlay2
- Ambient Mode (an electronic picture frame)
- Tizen OS and Content Discovery (viewing habits lead to recommendation)
QLED is Samsung’s flagship product using Quantum Dot QLED. It is not OLED (self-emissive pixels) and relies on backlighting (FALD or Edge-Lit) to excite the nano-crystal Quantum Dots to improve colour gamut.
8K – Model Q950T QLED (Quantum Dot)
HDR10+ (HDR4000/3000), FALD (full-array backlit 32x), bezel-free (Infinity Screen – edgeless) and no gap, flush wall mount or desktop design (One Connect Box and transparent cable) that defies all but the LG Wall OLED panels.
It uses the Samsung Gen 2 8K Quantum processor that has on-device deep learning as well as AI. The panel has Samsung’s ultra-wide viewing technology and an Adaptive Picture mode to adjust the image to room conditions (Other brands may call this Dolby IQ).
Sound-wise it has a 4.2.2 – an 8-speaker system hidden behind the glass (it is only 15mm deep). Samsung has invented a proprietary Object Tracking Sound (OTS+) to give a wider sound stage. No, it is not Dolby Atmos, but it should do a good job at improving TV speaker sound. It also has Adaptive sound (charges according to content), Active Voice Amplifier (for clear voice) and Dolby Atomos 5.1 decoding and passthrough to an Atmos soundbar.
Price: TBA for 65, 75, 85”
8K Model Q800T Quantum Dot
A lower-cost unit with most of the features except FALD 24x, HDR10+ (HDR2000), no One connect box, desktop stand only
Price: TBA for 55, 65, 75, 82”
4K QLED (Quantum Dot) x 4 ranges from 55-85″
- Q95T – FALD, HDR2000, Gen 2 4K Quantum processor, OTS, Q-Symphony, One Connect box. 55/65/75″ $3499/4649/6999
- Q80T – FALF HDR10+ (HDR1500/1000), OTS. 55/65/75/85″ $2549/3499/5249/7549
- Q70T– Dual LED Edge-lit (uses two LEDs – one each warm and cool) to extend colour gamut, HDR10+ (HDR). 55/65/75/[email protected] $2099/2699/4049/6399
- Q60T – Single LED Edge-Lit, Quantum ‘Lite’ (lower capacity processor), no wide-view, 55/65/75″ $1729/2199/3499
Crystal 4K UHD/LCD
Samsung’s name for its more price-competitive LED Edge-lit LCD TVs. Apart from Voice Assistance, it lacks most of the QLED feature set.
TU8500 – Crystal Processor, Dual LED Edge Lit, HDR10+ (HDR), Game Enhancer, 2.0 20W speakers. 43/50/55/65/75/82″ $1019/1129/1369/1699/2589/3939
4K Designer Range
These are special lifestyle designs
- Frame – QLED (and most QLED features), HDR10+ (HDR), Edge-lit, Local dimming (not FALD), looks like a picture frame and accesses art via the art store. 32/43/50/55/65/75″ $919/1599/1949/2299/3149/4649.
- Serif – QLED, HDR10+ (HDR), Local dimming (not FALD), 4.0 40W speakers, NFC to pair smartphone, desk or easel mount, 43/55″ and wood frame
The Sero (a landscape/portrait TV) was mentioned but we have little detail or pricing. Here is what Samsung said
The Sero, which means “vertical” in Korean, can pivot between horizontal and vertical orientations – just like a smartphone or tablet. The Sero’s display orientation technology connects seamlessly with users’ mobile devices to smoothly and naturally display content in traditional horizontal formats, as well as vertical formats. Consumers can expect to enjoy a variety of content – including social media, movies and other personal videos – in whatever display orientation mirrors their mobile device.
Available May and we expect to see a couple of more upmarket soundbars, e.g. Q900 o
rt 950T as well.
Q-Symphony series for use with 2020 Q-series.
Q-Symphony uses TV speakers to widen the sound stage. These appear to have one HDMI In and One HDMI eARC, Wi-Fi 5, BT and ALEXA
- HW-Q800T $999, – 3.1.2, 8″ wireless subwoofer. Samsung’s Acoustic Beam technology (2 upward-firing drivers). Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, Samsung One Remote, eARC, Wi-Fi 5, BT and optional wireless rear speakers to go to 5.1.4
- HW-Q70T $899 – 300W, 3.1.2, 6.5″ woofer, as above
- HW-Q60T $799 – 360W, 5.1, 6.5″ subwoofer, 3D Surround and DTS:X,
S Series – mid-level, not Atmos
- HW-S61T – $599 4.0, side horn speaker and acoustic beam technology, no sub-woofer but an option. HDMI ARC, Optical, Wi-Fi an BT
T Series – entry level, not Atmos
- HW-T650 $599, 340W, 3.1, BT, HDMI ARC, HDMI Out, Optical, DTS Virtual X, Dolby Digital
- HW-T550 $499, 320W, 2.1 – as above
- HW-T450 $349, 200W, 2.1 – as above
GadgetGuy’s take – Samsung 2020 TV range – nice gear
This is a large range. There is a lot to absorb but the key issue is to remember good, better, best and awesome!
Would I wait instead of buying a 2019 R model at a good price? The Samsung 2020 TV range is an evolution over what was a pretty good 2019 range (details here). So no, if you can bag a bargain do it now!
Q-Symphony is interesting and Samsung obviously expect you to buy a Q-Symphony soundbar to match the TV. By using the TV speakers it has kept costs in check.