The real charge to make the iPhone a ‘more fully-fledged’ GPS device takes another step forward today, with the release of the TomTom for iPhone app. In the version released today, the app works on both the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS. Tom Tom state that they expect it to be compatible with the iPod Touch in the near future.
This app brings turn-by-turn navigation, voice instructions, automatic re-routing if a turn is missed, maps for Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada or Western Europe, marked points of interest and more.
The Australian maps will cost you $99.99, New Zealand $114.99, USA $119.99 and Western Europe $169.99. I suppose the big question is does the one-time purchase of any or all of these maps gain you a lifetime of access to map upgrades – I’m waiting for an answer on this from TomTom. You can buy the app from the Apple App Store, or via the TomTom for iPhone app website (link will opne in a new window).
TomTom for iPhone app press release
TomTom announces that the TomTom for iPhone navigation application can be purchased in the Apple iTunes App Store starting today.
The TomTom app for iPhone 3G and 3GS users includes a map of Australia, and is available to download through the TomTom website for $99.99.
“With TomTom for iPhone, millions of iPhone users can now benefit from the same easy-to-use and intuitive interface, turn-by-turn spoken navigation and unique routing technology that our 30 million portable navigation device users rely on every day,” said Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. “As the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, TomTom is the most natural fit for an advanced navigation application on the iPhone,”
The TomTom car kit for iPhone – a complementary mounting solution for secure docking, enhanced navigation and hands-free calling, will be available later this year. When used together, this unique and comprehensive package delivers an optimised, state-of-the-art solution for in-car, turn-by-turn navigation for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users. The TomTom app and car kit for iPhone can also be used independently.
TomTom app for iPhone includes the exclusive IQ Routes technology. Instead of using travel time assumptions, IQ Routes bases its routes on the actual experience of millions of TomTom drivers to calculate the fastest route and generate the most accurate arrival times in the industry. TomTom IQ Routes empowers drivers to reach their destination faster up to 35% of the time.
Furthermore, the TomTom app for iPhone comes with an extensive safety camera database covering speed and red light cameras across Australia. This means drivers are informed ahead of time about any safety cameras on their route, encouraging road safety, while saving money on fines at the same time.
Additional TomTom app for iPhone features include:
Best routing and maps
- Navigation software including fast route planning and clear voice instructions
- Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed
- Route demo or map of route when trip planning
- Choice of the latest maps for Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada or Western Europe.
Easy to use and personalise
- User interface fully optimised with iPhone
- Multiple display options including landscape and portrait navigation view
- Night and day color mode for optimised screen visibility in varying light conditions
- User interface available in 18 languages
- Change view settings (2D or 3D map display)
- Easy to download from iTunes App Store
Complete phone and map integration
- Multi-touch gestures such as tap, swipe, pinch and zoom to operate the application and zoom in and out of the map
- Navigation to contacts in address book
- Points-of-interest search and call capabilities from iPhone
Pricing and availability
TomTom app for iPhone: the TomTom app for iPhone for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is available immediately from the Apple App Store and http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app
- The TomTom app for iPhone including map of Australia is available for $99.99
- The TomTom app for iPhone including map of New Zealand is available for $114.99
- The TomTom app for iPhone including map of Western Europe is available for $169.99
- The TomTom app for iPhone including map of USA is available for $119.99.
Compatibility with iPod touch and other iPhone models coming soon.
Requirements for use on the iPhone 3G or 3GS include phone installation of OS3.0 and installation of iTunes on the PC or Mac.