They are still the weak link be it using generic passwords, clicking on email links, not being suspicious enough of fake websites – I could go on. Cybercriminals will flourish until the world is paranoid enough to counter them.
GG: Five tips, please
- Use reputable paid anti-malware/virus/phishing/ID Theft on every device – free software does not cut it
- Use complex passwords or a password manager like the freemium Last Pass (the free version works for most of us)
- Implement multi-factor authentication everywhere – especially where money or valuable information is involved
- Don’t overshare on social media – it aids identity theft
- Think – look at emails and websites, and if the deal or offer is too good to be true it is
GG: Final words?
In the security industry, our greatest fear is complacency. Threats evolve quickly, and we need to do more than just respond. We must evolve faster!
And every threat is exacerbated by the proliferation of apps designed to help us by knowing more about us. Don’t give too much away.
And remember – for every horror story you hear about a friend being hacked – it could just as easily be you.