Price (RRP): $1099
Congratulations Mr and Mrs OPPO. You have given birth to a unique baby Find X flagship. One that might change our purchasing decisions from the other contenders.
OPPO has come a long way in a short time. At last count, it had sold well over 200 million handsets. It is number four globally and number three in Australia. Its R-series were the global best-selling Android handsets in 2017.
In 2016 I went to the factory in Shenzhen. It has impressive equipment, R&D and testing facilities. When asked why it focuses on making very Applesque looking phones the designer said, “That is what the people want.” Who am I to argue?
Well, there is nothing Applesque about the Find X, Find X Super Flash or the Find X Lamborghini Edition.
The OPPO Find X is a first-class, flagship product. It will appeal to the fashionistas or those who want something very different.
Some things preclude me awarding it the outright crown. But you must determine if they are deal breakers.
- microSD slot. With 128GB storage who cares?
- Qi charging. I know that is my bugbear – it may not matter to the fast charge brigade.
- NFC for Google Pay. QR verification codes are safer.
- Formal IP rating. Still, it sold 200+ million handsets like that.
OPPO Find X exceeds most flagship paradigms, so we are happy to forgive it for the few foibles.
Throughout the review, we compare it to the Samsung Galaxy S9+ or Note9 – for convenience we use the letters GS9 or GN9.
Review: OPPO Find X Model CPH1871
Australian Website here.
Out of the box – a very beautiful box Santa (hint, hint)
- OPPO Find X – 8/128GB
- Factory-fit glass protector
- USB-C buds/mic
- Type-C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter
- Clear polycarbonate bumper case
- OPPO VOOC fast charger 5V/4A (20W)
- UBC-C Cable (Special ‘green’ version for VOOC). You can use a standard USB-C cable and charger, but it won’t fast charge.
We issue the standard warning that you must buy the model CPH1871 with Australian firmware EX_11_a.08 as it works on all Australian Carrier LTE bands. It is exclusive to JB Hi-Fi at $1099.
Find X has three variants
- 8/128GB with standard VOOC (0-100% in 1.5 hours) for $1099
- 8/256GB with new VOOC Supercharge (0-100% in 35 minutes) for $1,299
- Lamborghini Edition 8/512GB, Lamborghini custom skin and UI and Super VOOC for $1,998
All share the same camera, 3D facial recognition and Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 flagship SoC.
First impression – Where is the camera?
Where is the camera – both front and rear? The innovation is via a motorised camera module that slides out of the top in .5 seconds.
Then the colours. Choose from Glacier Blue or Bordeaux Red. Both have Gorilla Glass 5 front and back. The glass has a gradient design of floating highlights along the edges that change colours at different angles. It has OPPO’s trademark matching colour, ultra-thin, alloy frame.
This appeals to the fashion crowd. It has already become an aspirational purchase in China earning the title the world’s coolest smartphone. Or as one reviewer put it, “Kneel to the God of the bezel-less phone.”