Sony MCW 2019 announcements yet again have proven it is capable of playing with the best. Its answer to more screen real estate is a tall 6.5-inch, 21:9, 4K OLED CinemaWide screen!
Sony MWC 2019 focused on its flagship phone. The Xperia X1. Mitsuya Kishida, President, Sony Mobile Communications, said,
We have established a new vision for our Xperia brand to bring our customers experiences beyond imagination. We are continuing to push the boundaries in pursuit of innovation and our new Xperia delivers genuine technologies with a multitude of professional-grade features for creative entertainment experiences that are only possible with Sony.”
Sony says its collaboration with CineAlta professional imaging engineers means it can reproduce colours as directors intended. And there are many movies available on Netflix that support the ultra-wide format. The phone supports 4K upscaling, HDR remastering, 10-bit colour (1.67 billion) and 100% DCI-P3 colour gamut – impressive.
Camera wise it has a triple lens system with 2x optical zoom and ‘eye’ focus. The camera has a raft of features including 21:9, 4K movie record; Hybrid OIS/EIS vide stabilisation, HDR, Hybrid autofocus and more. Sony knows how to make a camera!
Sony Xperia 1 specifications
- 6.5-inch, 21:9 ratio, 3840 x 1644, AMOLED, 100% DCI-P3
- Qualcomm 855
- 6/128GB and micro-SDXC to 512GB
- Triple rear camera
- 12MP, 26mm, f/1.6, 1.4μm, 78°, OIS/EIS
- 12MP, 16mm, f/2,5, 1.0μm, 135°
- 12 MP, 52mm, f/2.4, 1.0μm, 45°, OIS/EIS
- Front camera
- 8MP, f/2.0, 1.12μm, 84°, HDR, Display Flash
- Wi-Fi AC, NGC, GPS, BT 5.0
- 4G LTE Cat 19/13 and global LTE bands
- Dolby Atmos (via headphones), Stereo speakers, Hi-Res LDAC and other lossless formats, aptX HD and more. No 3.5mm jack
- 167 x 72 x 8.2mm, IP65/68
- 3330mAh Adaptive charging battery
- Website here
Sony also introduced the X10 and X10 Plus with:
- 21:9 Wide Full HD+ display expands viewing area for enhanced entertainment consumption and is ideal to run two apps simultaneously
- Dual camera with Bokeh effect for dramatic shooting experience and 21:9 Movie and still image capture
- Sony’s High-Resolution Audio with DSEE HX and LDAC technologies for listening just as artists intended
Sony knows how to make cameras and how to impress with this 21:9 cinematic marvel. It is a technology-led device.
For some reason, Sony doesn’t sell too many flagships in Australia, so we don’t know if this is coming here.
Sony is also active in the 5G area. “We are working with partners globally to make 5G – both Sub-6 gigahertz and mmWave – a reality. You can find Sony’s 5G mmWave smartphone prototype displayed at MWC on our booth”.
Official Sony Press conference