Whirlpool showed off Apple Watch, Alexa and Google Assistant, remote start, and scan to cook integration in its 2018 range of smart home appliances.
OK – it is smart everything from here on in as the Internet of Things explodes towards 20 billion devices by 2020. Will it make us better cooks, washers and cleaners or just get more food and fingerprints on our smartphones?
Whirlpool is continuing to show how families can cook, clean and wash in smarter ways than ever before through a range of new smart appliances, collaborations and recipe app integrations.
It’s a matter of understanding what consumers truly desire for the smart home of today and tomorrow and Whirlpool’s commitment bringing the best capabilities and functionalities to its connected appliances. Not all these appliances will make it to Australia.
New Whirlpool Smart Products
Whirlpool Smart Over the Range Microwave with Scan-to-Cook Technology
With Scan-to-Cook technology, families can eliminate the guesswork and get the right frozen food settings every time. The technology allows families to scan thousands of frozen food barcodes with a smartphone or tablet and send recommended cooking instructions straight to the microwave.
Consumers will be able to create meals with ease in True Convection Bake mode by connecting the smart microwave to the Yummly recipe app. Families can also make quicker decisions with a touchscreen featuring customised settings based on each family’s preferences.
Whirlpool Smart Front Control Range
Designed to cut out routine steps to get dinner on the table quickly, families can send personalised recipe suggestions from the Yummly recipe app straight to the oven. Making mealtime faster and easier, consumers can also use a smartphone or tablet to get the right settings every time for frozen foods with Scan-to-Cook technology or simplify multi-step meals with technology that sends all the instructions to the oven at once.
Both the Smart Over the Range Microwave and Smart Front Control Range feature:
- Remote Start: Start dinner on the go by using a smartphone or tablet to remotely turn on the microwave.
- Smarter Meal Preparation with Yummly: When cooking in True Convection Bake Mode, families will be able to control the smart microwave through the Yummly recipe app to integrate recipes and cooking functionality into one platform. Just select from a database of curated recipes and send the cooking instructions straight to the appliance. The instructions include everything from temperature adjustments to power instructions to timing, and the Yummly functionality within the app will also take users through a step-by-step process – including images and video – to guide consumers on exactly how to prepare that item.
- Voice Control Capabilities: Sync the appliance with the Google Assistant or, soon, Amazon Alexa-enabled devices, to control the appliance with simple voice commands.
- Scan-to-Cook: Scan-to-Cook technology will help ensure the right settings every time families prepare a frozen food meal. Just scan the UPC barcode on select frozen food packages in the Whirlpool mobile app and the Scan-to-Cook technology will send the right directions, temperature and cooking time settings straight to the appliance. To get the lasagna a little crispier next time, customise the Scan-to-Cook settings to remember specific preferences.
- Colourful LCD Touchscreen: Get instant access to the settings the family uses most with a touchscreen that learns, adapts, and suggests customised presets based on unique routines. When the smart microwave is in a cooking mode, the proximity sensor adjusts the size of the display for clearer visibility depending on if the family member is nearby or far away.
- Multi-Step Cooking Capabilities: Allows users to send various cooking settings at once using a smartphone or tablet. The temperature automatically adjusts based on the recipe that was entered for great results without having to monitor the meal.
Smart All-In-One Washer and Dryer
Helping families keep their daily tasks going even when they’re busy and forget about their laundry, the unit can be set to begin drying after the wash cycle completes, answering the need for less complex washing routines and providing a compact unit perfect for tight spaces where a separate washer and dryer might not fit.
Collaborations with Apple, Google and Amazon
Alert Notifications with Apple Watch – an industry first
Rolling out in early 2018, connected appliances from Whirlpool Corporation will allow consumers to remotely communicate with ovens, washers and dryers via Apple Watch.
The collaboration marks the first time an appliance maker has connected its products with Apple Watch and its capabilities. Compatibility with Apple Watch will begin with a roll out to more than 20 Whirlpool brand connected appliances in 2018.
Consumers will be able to remotely communicate with their appliances through the Whirlpool app on Apple Watch in a variety of ways:
- Oven: Consumers will be able to see the current oven status and control commands during an active cycle.
- Washer: Alongside status updates, users can control the wash options of an active cycle. Whether it be a normal wash, delicates, or brights, consumers can adjust an active cycle on the fly via their Apple Watch.
- Dryer: Consumers can control and detect if a cycle has started, understanding how much time remains before the cycle is complete.
Hands-free Help from the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
With voice command capabilities throughout the kitchen line-up, families can ask the Google Assistant how much time is left on the microwave, set and adjust cooking mode, set temperature and time on the range, start a cycle on the dishwasher or set temperatures in the refrigerator.
Amazon Virtual Dash
In addition to voice-controlled capabilities with Amazon Alexa, Whirlpool is also introducing Amazon Virtual Dash Buttons to its refrigerators that have touchscreens. With Virtual Dash Buttons, Prime customers can order their favourite everyday products like beverages, snacks or paper towels straight from their LCD screen on their appliances. Running low on sparkling water? Simply press your Dash Button, and it will arrive with fast and free Prime shipping.
“With more connected home devices introduced each year, it can be a challenge to make sure they all remain interconnected. By introducing the collaboration with the Google Assistant on Google Home in addition to our previous collaboration with Amazon, we’re hoping to offer a more connected smart home ecosystem for families,” said Ryan Craig, senior manager, internet of things global strategy and partnerships.