The TCL 2020 QLED TV range includes four new TVs – X915 (8K), X10 (Mini LED), C815 and C715 Series.
Of course, the TCL 2020 QLED TV range refers to Quantum Dot that you will find in Samsung QLED, LG NanoCell, Hisense and Sony Tri-Luminous panels. It uses nanoparticles over an LCD panel to help produce over 1 billion colours (100% DCI-P3) and can be better in bright ambient or high reflectivity light situations. QLED TVs usually have edge-lit or the more premium ones have Full Array Local Dimming (FALD backlit)
Mini LED is a new backlit technology that sits behind a QLED, LCD TV panel. Instead of dimming zones, it has thousands of small LEDs to provide the backlight.
TCL claim 25,200 LEDs for the 75” (about 22K for 65”) divided into 900/800 (approx) dimmable zones. The result is that these give a finer backlit control than FALD that uses, for want of a better word larger LEDs. Finer control means black levels are lower than LCD but still not perfect black as OLED is.
Let’s look at a few common features of the TCL 2020 QLED TV range
- Android TV (version not stated) and Google Assistant/Chromecast support. Also works with Alexa
- Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos as well as HDR10+, Dolby Audio and DTS-HD
- Wi-Fi 5 Dual-band and Ethernet
- BT 5.0
- Contrast ratio 5000:1 (X915, X10, X815)
- Brightness nits X915/450, X10/500, X815/400
- Freeview Plus
- USB X915 (1×2.0 and 1.×3.0) and the rest 2×2.0
- VESA Wall mountable
- Warranty: 3- years (commercial use 12-months)
X915 8K 65/75″ $4299/$5999
- D-QLED backlight (not specified – likely FALD for 8K) and small bezels top or sides
- 200Hz clear motion
- 3 x HDMI (2.1, 2.0 and 1.4) and HDCP 2.2
- Viewing angle 80/70° (this is quite small)
- 2 step – 2 and 4K upscale to 8K
- IMAX Enhanced (requires IMAX content)
- Onkyo Audio soundbar 15W*2 (mid-bass) + 10W*2 (tweeter)
X10 Mini LED 4K 65/75″ $4699/6999
- Wide-angle 178° V/H viewing and no bezels top or sides
- 400Hz clear motion
- 2x15W + 2x5W audio
C815 4K QLED 55/65″ (no price given)
- E-LED (edge-lit) with micro-dimming (1296 zones on 75″)
- 93% min 97% typical DCI-P3
- HDMI 2.0 x 3
- 120Hz motion
- Integrated bottom edge Onkyo 2.1 Soundbar 2x15W+20W (Dolby Atmos decode to downmix to 2.1 or pass through to a Dolby Atmos soundbar) Read our Dolby Atmos Guide here.
C715 50/55/65″ (no price given)
- LED UHD (D-LED should mean direct-lit backlight)
- Dolby Vision and HDR10+
- 2 X 10w (Dolby Atmos decode to downmix to 2 or pass through to a Dolby Atmos soundbar)
GadgetGuy’s take – TCL 2020 QLED TV range is just the beginning
TCL makes smartphones, home appliances and more – it aspires to be the Samsung of China.
The TCL 2020 QLED TV covers its premium QLED, and you may see its mass-market P715 series from 43-100″ with fairly keen pricing. These are EdgeLit 4K LED TVs (not QLED) and the 75/85/100 support Dolby Vision and Atmos decoding. These replace the X4, X3, C6, C2, P62, P5 2019 series. It also has some FHD 1080p P32, S6500, S6and S62 models.
It also has a range of soundbars but remember, Dolby Atmos needs at least 3.1.2 to work. If you see anything less, then it can decode Atmos to the speakers it has but will not provide the 3D sound height.
You can read other TCL reviews here.