Now you can binge watch on a portable device without blowing your data limit. With the Smart Downloads app, Netflix can keep you up to date too.
Once you have finished watching a downloaded episode, Smart Downloads
A Netflix spokesperson said
“The faster our members can get to the next episode of their favourite stories, the better. Now, fans on the Netflix iOS app can get in on the fun and convenience of Smart Downloads, spending less time managing their downloads and more time watching. The feature is one more way we’re making it easier for Netflix fans to take the stories they love wherever they go.”
What you need to know about Smart Downloads
- Can’t you see downloads? If you are using a TV, it may not support offline viewing. You need the appropriate app and offline storage to use Smart Downloads.
- Titles that are downloadable have the download ‘donw-arrow
- Downloads are a maximum of 100 titles. Some titles have time limits (like 48 hours from first play) and those with less than seven days left will have an alert.
- While you don’t need the internet to watch downloaded titles, you do need to be signed into your account.
- Download files cannot be copied to another device. You can manually delete files you no longer want.
- You can change download quality from Standard to Higher if your screen supports it – the latter has larger files
- Depending on your plan you can have two to four download devices linked to your account.
GadgetGuy’s take: Smart Downloads = more binging while you commute
A great idea in making it easier to consume content on the go. Just watch out for file sizes. A 1-hour HD video can be three GB. Android and Windows devices allow you to select SD card storage.