The OPPO Find X2 Pro 5G is an almost perfect phone. There is a lot to like – Qualcomm SD865, 12/512GB, 120Hz 3168×1440 screen, the top rating DxOMark camera, massive battery, IP68 – all for $1599.
The OPPO Find X2 Pro 5G is its flagship phone – and as such it has all the latest tech. It was due for launch at Mobile World Congress and today, 6 March, we had a hands-on ‘first look’ session with some pre-release samples. Public availability – expect sometime in April.
The Pro version is the most fully specified – in some markets, it will have a base X2 model.
OPPO Find X2 Pro 5G Model CPH2025
- OPPO Australian website here
- Price: $1599
- Availability: Q2, 2020, from most Telcos and major retailers.
- Warranty: 2-years
Market position – Challenger to Samsung S20/+/Ultra 5G and other flagships
OPPO (as part of the BBK group) can claim to be the second or third largest smartphone maker in the world. It is a first-class, quality-assured, research, design and manufacturer.
On research, it has 2500+ 5G patents including a unique 360° 12-antenna system (most have two-to-four).
On the design front, it offers more than just a glass slab – 120Hz screen refresh (and the software to drive that), SuperVOOC 2.0 charging (38 minutes 0-100%), OPPO’s legendary sound quality (Dolby Atmos) and its camera prowess – the current DxOMARK champ. It scores 134 for stills and 104 for video on a pre-production model test. And it meets or exceeds the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max on every test.
And like Samsung, it owns its factories so it is not reliant on third-parties.
Its handset failure rate is one of the lowest in the industry; it has invested in Australia with offices, support, warehousing and more – no offshore call centres and dodgy third-party repairers.
So, my message is that it deserves serious consideration.
OPPO Find X2 Pro 5G Specifications
- Qualcomm SD865 – the 2020 flagship processor and Adreno 650 GPU – it will play all mobile games
- 12GB LPDDR5 (the latest and fastest) and 512GB UFS 3.0 (452GB free – ditto)
- Qualcomm X55 Gen 2 3/4/5G modem
- Missing – microSD but it has OTG and will support up to a 2TB external SSD
- 6.7” 3168×1440, 93.1% STBR, 19.8:9, 120Hz Ultra Vision OLED screen
- 1200nit HDR and 800nits peak
- 100% DCI-P3 for movies and games
- HDR10+ certified to play Dolby Vision content
- 10-bit (8+2 dithering) screen for 1 billion colours
- 240Hz touch sampling rate for games
- Motion compensation technology brings 24/30fps videos to 60/120 fps
- Gorilla Glass 6
This is a premium screen that supports 120Hz at 1440. OPPO has developed its Ultra Vision System that adapts the screen refresh and resolution to the content and ambient light conditions.
It looks gorgeous with silky smooth scrolling, particularly on 4K content.
OPPO’s camera expertise means you get the best sensors and matched optics that work in two modes – idiot-proof for most of us, and pro mode.
Now a word about cameras. For example, Samsung S20 Ultra has a 108MP sensor that nana-bins to a 12MP image. The finished image size is what is more important.
Primary camera – Wide angle
- 48MP (bins to 12MP)
- Sony IMX689 Sensor
- 1.12um pixels binned to a huge 2.24um
- 1/1.4 sensor size, f/1.7, 7P lens, OIS
- 68.4° field of view
- All Pixel Omni-Directional PDAF with a focus success rate of 97%
- OIS + EIS
- 12-bit True Capture
- [email protected]
- 48MP (bins to 12MP)
- Sony IMX586 Sensor
- ½” sensor size, f/2.2, 6P lens
- 120° field of view
- OIS and EIS
- 13MP Periscope Telephoto
- f/3.0, 5P lens, OIS,
- 5X Optical zoom
- Second-generation 10x Hybrid Zoom
- up to 60x digital zoom
- 32MP Selfie Camera
- f/2.4 aperture, 5P lens
Our first look produced some impressive shots. The All Pixel Omni Directional PDAF means every pixel focuses – it should be blazingly fast. It seamlessly swaps lenses as needed so you can select macro (3cm) to 60x digital zoom simply by pinching the screen zoom.
OPPO also has extensive AI camera capabilities including a new Ultra Night Mode 3.0, a new Ultra steady video mode, and all the usual object identification, beautification and AR emojis etc.